Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Irish customs re naming children.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 9 Sep 2008 10:40

People with Irish conections will know how difficult it can be to try and find a missing mothers forename and inlaws names. They are not shown on Marriage certs in the UK for children, you have just the Fathers name to try and work on.

If the family went on to have lots of children (as the Irish often did)then you may be in with a chance of having something to research.

Irish parents often named sons according to this general pattern.

The first son after the fathers father.
The second after the mothers father.
The third son was named after the father

Irish Daughter frequently followed a similar pattern

The first daughter was named after the mothers mother
The second was named after the fathers mother
The third was named after the mother.

You may be able to predict the names of Grandparents. But this is just a guide and proves nothing. But it could give you something to research. You really need to spot the trend in 5 children if possible

It worked for me perfectly and I traced my GG grandmother. I am sure this will have been discussed or is already known, but it really is worth a mention.