Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stuck

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PollyS

PollyS Report 9 Sep 2008 12:57

I have been stuck on this line for some time and wonder if I have covered all angles or if someone else might have any ideas how to proceed.

Sarah Jane Twidle appears in the 1841 census with her grandmother Sarah Martin, Sutton, Kingston Upon Hull.

Later - on Sarah Jane's marriage certificate her father is Emanuel Twidle. So, back to 1841 census but can't find Emanuel Twidle.

On IGI can find Emanuel Twidell marriage to Jane Martin in 1827 in Hull and birth of Sarah Jane Twidle in 1829 in Hull with parents Emmanuel Twidle and Jane.

So, back to 1841 census but can't find Jane Twidle either and now quite sure they must have died before official records began.

Can't find any reference to Emanuel Twidle at all in Ancestry but have just found a death for Jane Twidle in 1843 in Hull so why can't I find her on the 1841 census?

Of course, I can't be sure this Jane Twidle is my Jane Twidle unless I get the certificate but it would help if I could see a census reference.

I'm still a bit hazy about parish records. How do you know where to go to see them?

Thanks in advance,

forever feeling like a numpty, Cheryl.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 9 Sep 2008 13:12

Twidle, Twiddle, Twiddel, Twiddell, just four variations on the spelling, though there are more that could appear in the index for a census entry.

Try usng the variations, or just put the first name and year of birth and see what crops up.

Parish Records can be found via the IGI (incomplete), www.freereg.org.uk (same idea as freebmd, again not complete but updated regularly).

Records Offices will hold the most of the available records but each office keeps records for their own area only, you can request a search by the office (for a charge). Also consider joining the Family History Society for the area, they have transcribed some records onto cd and members can purchase them at reduced rates.

PollyS

PollyS Report 9 Sep 2008 13:56

Thanks

I have tried variations of the name and painstakenly just tried putting emanuel or Jane with range of ages and looked for anything like the surname.

I haven't tried the Family History Soceity though and that looks very promising.

Thanks again.