Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Contacting Scotlands People re poor image question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 15:05

Its happened again I used the contact us section of Scotlands People and said I couldn't read the image as it was so poor, got a message back saying I used the wrong thing to contact them something called
brightsolid (formerly Scotland Online) saying I had done it wrong they don't hold the images.

Can anyone tell me apart from the fact I used the contact us re poor image issue, where else can you contact then? I have to go out at 3:20pm so if I am not online will check thread later. Thanks in advance!!

Betty

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 12 Sep 2008 15:29

Betty - I haven't needed to contact them lately but, looking just now, I'd have gone via the "Contact Us" at the bottom, then "Continue here to fill out the contact us form", then "illegible image", then "Proceed with contact us regarding illegible images".

From their FAQs -

I can't read the information on this image. What should I do?

Please contact our customer support selecting the "Illegible Image" option from the Issue dropdown box on the contact form. In the "Description" field please state as much information you can about the image e.g. name, year, GROS/NAS reference number and the type of image.

I can't see any other way of contacting them by e-mail.

Gillian

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 15:36

Hi Gillian,

Thats what I did re illegible image too but the said they only see the image on a coputer screen as I/we do to use the correct part for unreable images. Notice they are no longer Scotlands people too, been taken over by brightsolid (formerly Scotland Online) it says.

Betty
p.s. wonder if they will increase the charges now?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 15:40

I just keep getting this return e-mail message!!

Hi Betty,

I am afraid we cannot help you with this particular query. The original records are not kept here – we see the same online images as the customer does, which in this case is illegible.

However, if you go to the online contact form and choose the option “ illegible image” , these emails go directly to GROS who DO hold the original records. They will check this information from there and advise you of their findings. Please include the GROS data with your query.

Best regards,

David Fleming

Service Desk

ScotlandsPeople

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 12 Sep 2008 15:41

Sorry Betty - I was adding to my post above as I thought you were still out.

Is there a phone number?

Gillian

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 15:41

What they are telling me to do is what I have alread done twice, I have contacted them before but never had this meassage!!

Betty

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 12 Sep 2008 15:46

There are two ways of getting to the illegible image bit - one gives the options "Incorrect/Illegible image (cannot read)", and the way I listed above which gives the option "illegible image".

You could try using whichever of those you didn't use last time.

Gillian

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 15:53

Thanks Gillian,

I have tried again doing it as you say and just the same way I did it all the hundreds of times before, will wait and see what happens now, thanks for you reply and help information.

Wonder when they were taken over by this new company then?

Betty

JustGillian

JustGillian Report 12 Sep 2008 16:00

I can't remember when they re-branded, but I know they have also acquired findmypast.

Hope you eventually get an answer re your image!

Gillian

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 17:13

Hi Gillian,

Sorry I did eventually go out my grandson was taking me to B & Q but he was late in coming down for me just got back and saw your post re SP being re-branded..

I wonder if the prices will go up now that it has been taken over by this company, I would never have though Scotlands people would be sold as they made quite a bit of money from it every year. They must have got an offer they couldn't refuse!!

Betty

Alistair

Alistair Report 12 Sep 2008 19:37

ScotlandsPeople still exists.

It's a partnership between the General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland, The Court of the Lord Lyon and brightsolid (formerly Scotland Online).

So it's just the name of one of the partners which makes up ScotlandsPeople which has changed.

Alistair

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 12 Sep 2008 20:10

Hi Alistair, thanks for the info I didn't know that, just when you recive an e-mail from them it had The Court of the Lord Lyon and brightsolid (formerly Scotland Online).

Never saw this before it was always just Scotlands people.

Betty