Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George and Mary Day in Aberdeenshire Scotland in 1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~ Report 13 Sep 2008 08:59

I have had this brickwall with trying to find my 2xgreat grandparents George and Mary Day nee O'Loughlin Ifound this couple in the 1841 census for Aberdeenshire Scotland but please can someone tell me where I can find their marriage to find out her maiden name please .My great grandfather said they lived in Tasmania but I have not been able to find them yet in Tasmania or Samuel's birth either,I never thought it might be Scotland always thought it would be Ireland
Samuel was married here in Victoria Australia and later after he had seven of his fourteen children he changed his name to O'Day so I don't know if that has any significance it was probably what steered me toward Ireland he was also a Catholic, any help would me much appreciated
Cheers Lara

Maggie 'O the Mainland

Maggie 'O the Mainland Report 13 Sep 2008 09:20

Hi Lara,
So it is Mary Days' maiden name you are looking for? You mention the name O'Loughlin.

You then go on to speak about Samuel, is that their son?

Also how old were George and Mary in the 1841 census?

Cheers
Maria

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~

~¤§ Lara Linga Longa §¤~ Report 14 Sep 2008 05:11

Hi Maggie sorry when I reread today I realised I didn't say YES Samuel My greatgrandfather said his mother was Mary O'Loughlin and father was George Day and that they lived in Tasmania but as yet I have been unable to find them in Tasmania and I have not been able to find his birth in Tasmania either
Samuel married here in Victoria and as far as I know had no contact with his parents again .
In the census for Aberdeenshire that I found a George and Mary Day, George snr was 55 Mary was 45 and their son George was 30. was for Fraserburgh they lived in Gash Philorth Parish 196 and he was an Ag Lab I thought maybe my Samuel was their son but I am a dill as he was married in 1872 and said he was 26 but according to his death certificate he was 34 in 1872 so unless their son George aged 30 in 1841 was his father maybe clutching at straws though probably.
Thanks for your reply I will just go looking for them
and hopefully one Day I will find them
Kind Regards Lara