Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with irish birth certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 13 Sep 2008 14:16

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can help me please.

I know my great grandfather was born 1904 in ballyshannon donegal. His name was Joseph edmund rice and his father was joseph edward rice. I know they emigrated to Britain when joseph jnr was 6 weeks old. i have searched for his baptism to no avail . I am now after his birth certificate so i can get his mothers name etc.

I have downloaded the form and i have tried faxing it to Fax: +353 (0) 90 6632999
Fax: +353 (0) 90 6632988

but the lines are dead . Does anybody know where else i can try please.

regards
lizz

daddymuzza

daddymuzza Report 13 Sep 2008 14:49

http://www.groireland.ie/contact_details.htm

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Sep 2008 08:37

Hi Dazzymuzza

thanks for the suggestion but that is the site i was refering to anyway. The numbers seem to be dead even witht the international dialling code from here.

regards

lizz

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 14 Sep 2008 11:01

Elizabeth

Print off the application form and send it by first class post. 50p

I always order my Irish certificates that way and the ones I ordered a couple of weeks ago came back a week.later.

Regards...Teresa

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 14 Sep 2008 17:19

Hi Teresa

i will try that thanks.

regards

lizz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 25 Sep 2008 18:32

UPDATE :

recieved a letter back from offices in roscommon ireland that they had checked records for 1901-1905 and not found a joseph edmund rice.
any suggestions where i try now please as it clearly states in army records of his father he was born in Drumhome on the 06/10/1903.

regards
lizz

Fire

Fire Report 25 Sep 2008 18:40

Check the births form england and wales just in case it was registered over here.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Sep 2008 07:35

hi fire

i have checked births in england but they don't exist here.

Joesph edmond rice 06/10/1903
Reginald rice 02/01/1905
mary rice 21/05/1908
teresa rice 21/05/1908
raymond rice 07/06/1910
edmund rice 05/07/1911
william leonard rice 12/10/1912
gerard rice 15/08/1914

i know i have the dates but i would like the address';s they were born there seems to be no trace of them in england but we know they were here ..

regards
lizz

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 26 Sep 2008 20:11

Hi Lizz,

Don't forget to put the international code in front of the telephone number when dialing oversea's.
Phoning Dublin from the UK, replace the + with 00 in front of the telephone or fax number
I have spoken to them this week by telephone.
00353 (0) 90 6632988
Paul

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 26 Sep 2008 21:48

ErinGoBragh1916

they were born either Drumhome or Ballyshannon according to the army records.Unfortunately i have no idea where they settled in England just that by 1930 Joseph jnr was in coulsden surrey.

Paul

i did try that by it might be because we have to dial 9 for an outside line in work therefore it may be reading a completely different number.

regards
lizz

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 27 Sep 2008 10:35

ErinGoBragh1916

we knew that joseph jnr was 30/31 when he died in 1940 so his birth was either 1903/1904 .But from his fathers joseph snr records on page 3 it states all the children and the marriage to a Teresa Mahon in 1903in ballinbrae drumhome. All the children were born either ballyshannon or drumhome. The Irish records in Roscommon wrote back to say no trace of Joseph Jnr from 1901 to 1905. He was called Joseph Edmund Rice and we have his marriage certificate and death certificate and would like his birth.

regards

lizz

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins

Teresa With Irish Blood in Me Veins Report 27 Sep 2008 16:23

Don't know if this might help...

I have found that the second Christian name of a person is not always recorded on the Irish Birth Certificates as some only get their second name at the time of their Baptism. If this took place at a later date than the Registration then that could be why they can't locate it.

Or....a birth could be registered as a 'Male' with their Surname only.

Have an example like that in my Irish side of the my family tree too.

I knew his father's name from his marriage in England and his DOB from his death record in England.

A relative of mine already had a 'small' birth certificate with just 'Male' but that didn't show the mother's name. The Full Certificate I received just recently from Ireland did and their address..

Elizabeth

Elizabeth Report 28 Sep 2008 10:08

hI ErinGoBragh1916

My nan told me that Joseph jnr came to be in England at 6weeks old.So i have spent alot of time trying to find them here. And it was by chance i was looking at the miliatry records on Ancestry for his father Joseph snr which gave me the remaining info about the children and there dob's and marriage to Teresa Mahon. I was always led to believe they were in england after 1903. Teresa is the mother of Joseph jnr. I do know from the military records that joseph snr (1872 carlow) that he was in england in chatham kent at some stage between 1893-1894 . also his sister margaret 1868 was in 1891 census as living peckham but a nurse at cane hill in coulsedn surrey which is were joseph jnr ended up working also,I do know the military records are correct in the names of the children as my nan was named after the joseph jnr's twin sisters mary and teresa. are you able to look on ancestry to see what i am trying to explain.

Teresa
i gave them his fathers name and it looks like i will have to try again with the birth date from the certificate and put just plain joseph rice. Thank you for your explaination .

regards

lizz