Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Set Up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alison

Alison Report 13 Sep 2008 21:19

Hi! I'm very new and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to change the look of the family tree. Mine seems to be set up quite strangely with both branches of the family going in the same direction and spouses linked in the same direction as siblings!

Would really appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
Ali

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 13 Sep 2008 21:46

I´m not quite sure what you mean Ali. It is not possible to change the "look" of the tree on Genes as it is preset by GR. Could you have clicked the wrong box while adding spouses or siblings? Play around with it abit. Or give us an example of one of your strange branches and perhaps we can understand what has happened. You could of course delete what you have done and then re do it, checking carefully that each entry has gone in the correct relationships. Get back to us if you can´t sort it out. We all had to begin somewhere and it takes time to understand how the boxes work.
Chica

Alison

Alison Report 13 Sep 2008 22:05

Thanks Chica. I wasn't really that clear,was I?

Basically, my whole tree goes to the right. So, it starts with me (and my siblings), then our parents, which are fine. Then, although the relationships are correct and the branches are separate, both my mother's branch and my father's branch head off to the right.

It's probably just me being fussy, but it looks really messy.

Is everyone else's the same?
Ali

Heather

Heather Report 13 Sep 2008 23:05

Read the Tips for Newbies.

Basically the GR tree is pretty rubbish and most of us have offline tree programs.

Alison

Alison Report 13 Sep 2008 23:12

Thanks Heather, just looked on your tips - very helpful.

Re the FT programmes - Should I just Google for FT programmes or are there a couple in particular that are deemed better than the rest?

Heather

Heather Report 13 Sep 2008 23:19

Well, most of us have Family treemaker. You can get the 2006 or who do you think you are versions quite cheaply now with a months ancestry thrown in. Try amazon or twr computing. Look at the charts of the various programs on twr.

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 13 Sep 2008 23:33

I´ve also got FTM which is good, but I quite like this GR tree and find it easy to use. I shouldn´t worry about it looking messy Ali, as long as they are correct. There´ll always be bits going off in all directions, we´ve all got that! Mind I wouldn´t say no to a few more names on mine to make it look even crazier. And be consoled Ali ´cos it´ll look even worse when you´ve got 5,000 names in there!
Enjoy your research

Goodnight Ali & Heather I´m off to bed.

Heather

Heather Report 13 Sep 2008 23:34

Nite kid.

Alison

Alison Report 14 Sep 2008 09:53

Thanks to you both for your help and encouragement Heather and Chica. Though I must say 5000 names seems a long way off right now... :-)

Heather

Heather Report 14 Sep 2008 11:48

Alison, big is not better - dont worry about numbers, concern yourself with quality. A string of names back to the Domesday Book is meaningless without each person having some flesh put on them.

By the way, with the FTM2006 you can create your own home page including pics, documents etc.

Ron

Ron Report 14 Sep 2008 17:12

I've nudged the thread up for you, it tells you all about software.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Chica in the sun ☼

Chica in the sun ☼ Report 14 Sep 2008 23:12

Ali & Heather I was just joking about the 5,000 names! I have only a tiny fraction of that amount on mine!

And I agree Heather about quality rather than quantity. When I first started doing gen I was really eager to get a lot of names, especially when I saw other peoples trees with 1,000´s in them. But now I concentrate on verifying documentation for what I do have, and find that very rewarding.

Alison

Alison Report 18 Sep 2008 13:02

Thanks all and apologies for so late a reply. I really am such a novice that I forgot that I had to go to the community page to pick up new replies. D'oh!

Thank you Ron, but, and this really does show what my ignorance, what is 'nudging'?

Thanks,
Ali