Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1871 War?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 Sep 2008 00:35

I have just discovered an ancestor on the 1871 census in hospital in Kidbrooke. His occupation is listed as Gunner Royal Artillery, and his fellow patients (the whole page) are also in the Royal Artillery. Does anyone know if we were involved in any wars at this time, it seems strange to have so many of them in hospital at the same time otherwise.

Duncan

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 Sep 2008 01:08

I have looked on Google, it looks as though the answer is no we weren't at war with anyone.

Duncan

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 14 Sep 2008 01:26

Hi Duncan

I think there was the Franco-prussian war going on at that time but I don't know if Britain had any involvement in that war.
We also had army in India at that time! Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Kaz

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 14 Sep 2008 01:34

Hi Kaz, yeah the Franco-Prussian war was 1871, so I just read, but it doesn't look like we were involved. Just as well going by the amount of soldiers already in hospital!!!!!

Duncan

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2008 01:47

Duncan,

Since the Artillery deals with big guns and explosive materials there are plenty of reasons why so many soldiers should be in hospital in peace-time.

Peter

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Sep 2008 02:01

In peace-time, as in war-time in many theatres, the biggest cause of hospitalization was disease and sickness. Sidney Herbert was the secretary of state for war who sent Florence Nightingale to the Crimea.
You can read about the Royal Herbert here:
http://www.qaranc.co.uk/royalherbert.php

mgnv

mgnv Report 14 Sep 2008 06:58

I'm inclined to disagree with Peter. I think the Royal Herbert is full of gunners because they were largely trained and based in and around Woolwich. If I go to the 1871 census for the Royal Victoria at Netley, it's pretty much full of infantrymen.

1871 England Census
Civil Parish: Hound
Ecclesiastical parish: Hound
Town: Netley
County/Island: Hampshire
Street address:
Registration district: South Stoneham
Sub registration district: St Mary Extra
ED, institution, or vessel: The Royal Victoria Hospital
Household schedule number: 1

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1196; Folio: 82; Page: 22; GSU roll: 827814.

Peter

Peter Report 14 Sep 2008 23:14

Mgnv has a fair point, and I admit I was only speculating, but to a degree the causes of illness and injury may have varied for gunners and infantrymen.

Peter

Stevendeg

Stevendeg Report 15 Sep 2008 03:40

Hi Duncan, I have nudged "British Wars - dates" by Keith in Essex for you.

Cheers, Steven.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Sep 2008 09:10

Woolwich now has the Fire Power museum re the R.A. if you are interested in the background.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 15 Sep 2008 10:46

Interesting - I have an ancestor who was somewhere in 1871 and I've not been able to get to the bottom of it. To be more precise, in the 1871 census, his wife is listed as "Head, husband in Hungary". It is written quite clearly. I've often wondered if he was away fighting in a war, otherwise why on earth would an Ag Lab from the countryside go to Hungary in 1871, leaving behind his wife and 10 children??

K

Heather

Heather Report 15 Sep 2008 14:25

How odd Karen. Can you give us the detail so we can have a look.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 18 Sep 2008 23:52

Hi all, haven't been around for a few days, thank you for your comments.

Duncan