Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'Of age' - Marriage Certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Sep 2008 13:28

Hullo,

Can anyone advise...

I've just received a marriage cert (from 1846) and in the age column (for both bride and groom) it simply says 'of age'. Does this phrase mean they are a particular age, i.e. 18 or 21 or does it just mean they are at least the legal age for marriage and could be anything from 16 to 50??!!

And, was the legal age for marrying 16 back then or has it changed?

Many thanks in advance,
Kelly

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Sep 2008 13:32

Sorry....another query about the same certificate from 1846.....

Have just noticed the date - April 35th????? (and it's VERY clear as well; not misread!!)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2008 13:37

Of age means 21 and over so can marry without parental consent, can be any age over 21 !!
Minor means under 21 but over 12 for a girl or 14 for a boy, and marrying with parental consent.

the legal ages then, to the 1920.s, was 12 for a girl and 14 for a boy

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 Sep 2008 13:39

the April 35th must be a transcription error I would query that back with the GRO

Kelly

Kelly Report 14 Sep 2008 13:50

Thank you!

Blimey; 12 and 14 - how awful!!