Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Obtaining Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

elliespop

elliespop Report 14 Sep 2008 22:47

Hi All,
A very basic question I know but if I have a number of GRO Indexes for birth, wedding and death events what is the quickest way for me to obtain copies of the certificates?
Am I right if I order these online they will be delivered in 4 days at cost of £7 each?
Is there still anywhere that I can visit personally to obtain quicker. Live close to London so can visit there if required.
Thanks in advance.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 14 Sep 2008 22:53

They will indeed cost £7.00 from the GRO......as to whether you will get them in 4 days, I have my doubts. Unless, of course, you pay the premium for fast delivery........

If you try to get them from local sources, the GRO refs are of no use.......and you need to have much more info than is required by the GRO.

I assume that the events you refer to were all registered in one district in London?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 14 Sep 2008 23:07

I would go with the GRO unless they are all registered in a district close to you. Otherwise you will have to go to the register office where they were registered. Actually for births and deaths you need Less information than the GRO needs. Just name, qtr. and year is usually enough. However for marriages you will usually have to know which church the marriage took place in, which is why it is easier to go through the GRO if you don't know this information.

Kath. x