Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Children's Foster Homes/Homes For The Elderly

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Paul

Paul Report 15 Sep 2008 00:15

Hello, can anyone help me please?

I am trying to discover what happened to my gr Uncle, Martin Andrew George Butler, who was born February 1916, in the Woolwich/Plumstead area.

All I know is that he was fostered at a young age by Violet Mabel Dunn, but then disappeared of all trace.

I am not sure whether he went to war, or moved away. I have checked death records, but can't find anything to say he died.

He may be in a home for the elderly. Who knows!

If anyone can help as to how I can search records for either type of home that would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Paul

Miriam

Miriam Report 15 Sep 2008 19:01

Dear Paul

Not sure about the old folk's homes but could he have been in a children's home? The NCH have a very informative website and might be worth an email.

www.nch.org.uk.

Best of luck

Maria

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Sep 2008 19:23

When you say you have checked death records have you looked in every qtr. of every year from when he was born up to 1983 (after this the deaths are name searchable)?

Kath. x

Paul

Paul Report 16 Sep 2008 12:39

Hello Kath

No I have searched by name, in relation to his age/DOB and also war records.

Thanks

Paul

Paul

Paul Report 16 Sep 2008 12:40

Ok thank you Maria, i'll try.

Paul

Elisabeth

Elisabeth Report 16 Sep 2008 12:53

It is also worth trying the Children's Society - they took over many small children's homes early 20th century. Before that era, there were lots of small local societies taking care of waifs. They did find my father's file, which was closed in 1913.

Elisabeth