Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

If only my ancestor's burial plots were this easy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 15 Sep 2008 13:04

If only my ancestor's burial plots were this easy to find!!!

Last week the OH decided that he wanted to visit his paternal Grandmother's grave, she having died 10 years before his birth, and he wanted to take photos for his father who is too frail to visit himself.

OH knew the cemetry and when she died but had no idea where in the cemetry she was buried.

I pointed out that it wouldn't be easy unless we traipsed around the cemetry, like he has done countless times with me looking for my ancestors, or he searched the web to see if he could pay for a search of the burial records for the cemetry to identify the plot.

Anyway we did go yesterday (with me muttering that he really should have done some pre visit research) and would you believe it!!!!.....A quick word with the keeper and we were shown the burial record books that were kept in an outbuilding and open to all. Entries were alphabetically listed by surname and we found her plot number within a minute! Less than three minutes later we were at her graveside only to discover that she was buried next to her sister and they had a double headstone, something the OH didn't know.

We took lots of photos and his Dad is overjoyed.

Chris

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 15 Sep 2008 13:50

That's really great!

I've also had similar success by talking to a groundsman - he'd been looking after the churchyard since he was a boy - as his father had also!
Think they knew just about every grave in the place - and it's quite large!!

Christine

Karen

Karen Report 15 Sep 2008 13:58

Isnt it wonderful when things like that happen. When people are prepared to be helpful and not insist on you going through the 'proper channels' and waiting for weeks / spending alot of money on what the groundsman is happy to show you for free.
Must be a very interesting / lonely job, and being able to share his knowledge and speak to people with a geniune interest..
Might have to get up to my local cemetery and see if he can help me solve my riddle.
Karen