Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What is a pedigree resource file?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline

Caroline Report 15 Sep 2008 19:56

Hi, I've been pointed in the direction of the IGI site via familysearch.org and have "happened" upon several hundred years worth of ancestry which sounds plausible to me, however, having read mixed reviews of how trustworthy this site is I'm a little sceptical. The info. I've found is under a pedigree resource file, can anyone enlighten me as to what this is? - as you may have guessed I'm a bit new to this and with so much info. out there it's like I've jumped into the ocean and I'm looking for a few life rafts!

also, if there are any other decent (reasonable trustworthy) sites that may be useful starting points, I'd be grateful to hear about them (as I'm sure many others would too).

Thanks in advance,
Caroline.x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 15 Sep 2008 22:19

Pedigree Resource File are submitted entries on Familysearch. I don't trust any submitted entries at all. I just use the entries that are extracted from parish records.

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 Sep 2008 22:39

Like any family tree one sees on the 'net, one should treat it with caution. However, unlike most trees one sees on the 'net, one typically only sees little twigs of these trees, and not the whole thing, so it's a bit hard to judge the general quality of the research behind the tree, and even the best trees can contain errors.

The info is useful, however. You can often guess where it came from (e.g., an exact place and date of death and an approximate year of birth was probably gotten from a d.cert or grave marker) which does indicate how you can verify it. Actually, knowing that the info is probably out there somewhere is very useful. The majority of the info is accurate, but you never know if you're in that majority situation.

Heather

Heather Report 15 Sep 2008 22:39

Read Tips for Newbies and get a sub to ancestry.co.uk