Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Chelsea Pensioners

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 16 Sep 2008 19:52

I saw very recently an article with websites about Chelsea Pensioners which you could look up. I cannot find the article now, but feel sure it was in one of the general Family Tree/History magazines.
I want to look up one of my rellies, who on an early census, says he was a Chelsea Pensioner.
Can anyone help me please?
Many thanks
Jo

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2008 19:55

Records for Chelsea Pensioners are at the National Archives. Do you know roughly when he was in the Army i.e. do you know when he was born and by what approx time he had left the Army?

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 16 Sep 2008 20:07

Hello Annielaurie

Thank you for your reply. I know when my ancestor was born. 16 Dec 1815. He is Arthur Bryant. I am not sure whether his middle name is Thomas or James.
On the 1851 census at HO107/1495 Fol 99 Page 55 he was a Journeyman/Shoemaker and Chelsea Pensioner. He was aged 35!
A bit young for a Chelsea Pensioner

I was hoping to find out Why he was a Chelsea Pensioner, and when he was in the Army through this website.

Many thanks for your help
Jo

Heather

Heather Report 16 Sep 2008 20:08

Take it he was an "out pensioners" - not actually living in the Home. There is also a museum - have a google. I have seen a 15 year old as a Chelsea Pensioner. Your guy may have been injured.

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2008 20:23

Josephine

Surviving discharge papers for those discharged to pension up to 1854 are name indexed on the National Archives Catalogue. There's an Arthur James Bryant, born St Andrews, London and Middlesex who served in the 50th foot regiment 1841-1845, discharged aged 27. Seems a distinct possibility although age is a bit out.

You should be able to order it, although they are digitising them at the moment, so they might say no. The reference is WO 97/636/83. Give me a shout if you're not sure how to order it from their site!

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 16 Sep 2008 20:30

Hello Annielaurie

That sounds like him. He was born in St. Andrews,London.

I haven't a clue how to order it from their site.
So yes, please, can you help.
How much do they cost as well?

Thank you very much indeed for your help
Regards
Jo

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2008 20:36

Go to the National Archives website, go to Search the Archives at top of home page, and click on "the Catalogue". Put the reference WO97/636/83 into the "Type reference here" box in the top LH corner. The page will then come up with the details. Click on "Request this". This will enable you to get a quote before you order. Not sure how much they cost - I go there all the time to get my documents, but I would imagine around £10 or so. Good Luck!

dizzyjo

dizzyjo Report 16 Sep 2008 21:04

Hello again Annielaurie

Well I have been working my way round the Archives and have an estimate coming to me of the price in the next 10 days. Thank you very much indeed for your help. I would never have tried otherwise.

Once I order one or two or three more things, it will be 'old hat', its just cracking the system.
Thank you for your help

Best wishes
Jo

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 16 Sep 2008 21:22

Yes, it's just a question of getting used to the site. Very scary at first!