Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Devon records online CLOSED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 18 Sep 2008 08:34

Im trying to find out if there are any parish records online for the Offwell/Honiton area of Devon.

Hugh Wallis doesnt have Offwell - does anyone know of anything else thats available? Im quite a long way from this area for a personal visit at the moment.

Thanks

J

Joy

Joy Report 18 Sep 2008 08:45

You could try contacting the OPCs (online parish clerks) for those parishes.

Joy

Joy Report 18 Sep 2008 08:50

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Offwell/index.html
Genealogy
The Online Parish Clerk for this parish is the Wilmington Time Team, a local history society based in the parish, who run a website describing their activities and available archives. Please visit their website for a description of information available before sending queries and lookup requests.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Honiton/index.html
Genealogy
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Margaret Lewis, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Resources: extensive database of 24,000 PRs plus.)

Julie

Julie Report 18 Sep 2008 09:22

thank you Joy - I will try those sites.

I did have a name for the OPC in Offwell, I emailed her but never had a reply. It would seem that the task is now entrusted to someone else.

Thanks very much

Joy

Joy Report 18 Sep 2008 09:57

You're welcome.

itsmefromupnorth

itsmefromupnorth Report 18 Sep 2008 22:17

Try the Devon Family History Society

www.devonfhs.org.uk/

You can do a surname search on their website and request a quote by email. Pay by credit card and they will then email you transcripts. I recently received 11 pages of baptisms and marriages for a particular surname, all for their minimum charge of £3.
They quote 28 days, but I have always received them within 3-4 days. Excellent service