Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HIDING LIVING RELATIVES DETAILS.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tasha

Tasha Report 18 Sep 2008 09:05

im trying to delete my living rellies details to just living relatives, ive gone into my acc clicked yes to hide details then its telling me THE SITE NAME IS NOT ALLOWED PLEASE CHOOSE ANOTHER. im not changing my site name just hiding living relllies details. what am i doing wrong?
also once i finally do this will it automatically edit on my tree that other members are able to view?
sorry for what may seem a stupid question but im new and learning slowly!!
regards,
tasha x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Sep 2008 23:27

As far as I am aware, there is a yellow box, with a fella with a top hat. It is there that you go to hide living relatives. It should give you instructions on how to do this, it is quite straightforward.

I think Genes should make this more prominent, or alternatively automatically hide living relatives unless you choose not to do so.

Once you have succeeded, you need to get a friendly relative to check that it has worked, cos on your own view you will still have all the people shown.

Good Luck, and a sensible move,

Margaret

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 Sep 2008 23:34

Seems to be a problem.

Just thought I would change the settting on mine just to see if it would accept changing it to NO and got the same message as you have when trying to save the changes. Changed it back to YES and tried to save that and again got the message.

Mark_of_Four_(Counties)

Mark_of_Four_(Counties) Report 18 Sep 2008 23:40

Another tip I've come across is to go into each record and edit the name boxes to "Living Living" or any such text that you want displayed to your tree-sharers.

You know who all these people are anyway.

So long as you don't plan on doing any printouts then it should be okay.

I'm not entirely sure but I think you can't edit the entry for yourself in this manner as that determines the file name used to store your data in the GR servers.

hth

Mark

Tasha

Tasha Report 19 Sep 2008 09:38

hi,
thanks for those, im still having the same message come up so i have done as mark suggested and just edited theyre details to living relative.
i was aware that some people did this and thought it was silly to start with, as after all its your family tree for others to sometimes see.
then i found a rellie whom suggested removing them as unfortunately there are some nasty people who will pretend to be a rellie just to steal your id and there it is all in front of them everything they needed to know.
so now ive removed them and think its actually for the best.
so thanks jak for your advice
tasha xx

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 22 Sep 2008 22:02

It is not just about nasty people stealing your ID, but some crank turning up at the school gate and saying to little Ellen aged 6, your grandad has told me to collect you today, I know you like to be known as Nellie, and where is Doogle the Dog, your favourite toy, lets go and find him.

Horror!

Take care, hide ALL living relatives or don't even put kiddies in your tree at all, after all, you know all about them, so no point.

Margaret

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Sep 2008 23:05

The only safe way is to NOT put living people on your tree, except for the tree that you have at home. I wouldn't dream of putting my children or grandchildren on my tree here. There's no good reason for it, it doesn't help at all in finding relatives. I'm amazed at the number of people who put their new-born babes on their tree here.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 22 Sep 2008 23:37

If you go to into....MY account..... you will find a gadget to hide living relatives there