Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Take a risk !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shannette

Shannette Report 18 Sep 2008 13:07

I want to just say that if you ever have the chance to make contact with a living relation who you've never met,I hope you have the success I've had. A cousin of mine who I met online has just made a 20 hour journey from the USA to meet me in England and trace our roots in Ireland.We've had the most wonderful 3 days together ,talking eating walking looking at photos sharing memories and looking forward to a future with more and more family members in it. For me as an adopted person this is priceless. What a hobby this genealogy is !

Karen

Karen Report 18 Sep 2008 16:39

Shannette, thats a wonderful story.
Well done on your success.

Cyprus

Cyprus Report 18 Sep 2008 17:26

Shannette-how wonderfull ,bet you could write a book -we'd all love to read it !
Well done .

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 18 Sep 2008 22:50

Shannette that is wonderful for you. Yes, I have made contact with relatives I never knew about, but none of us were adopted, just didn't know about each other. Your success is so wonderful, and I am so pleased for you.

Nearest I have had to your situation is Barry who never knew his grandparents origins. He knew his grandmother, but not her origins, and never knew his grandfather cos they separated when his father was little, and his father would never talk about it. He seemed to have some problem with the birth family. Well 60 years on we have made contact. Barry is the grandson of one of my husband's cousins. Two years ago and we didn't know he existed, and he didn't know anything about his grandparents. We have found his biological grandfather and all of his cousins and aunts and uncles, and it is just a shame that all but one of them are dead now. But we hope they can visit Jim, now 84 and just had a triple heart by-pass op and doing well. A whole family found in a few emails via Genes Reunited. Wonderful. We haven't worked out why his father never told him about us, cos the family was a really lovely family and my husband's mother certainly would have welcomed him with open arms. He has missed a whole childhood of love. Ah, well, we have caught up with him now.

Love to you Shannette, hope all goes well for you.

Margaret

Shannette

Shannette Report 19 Sep 2008 09:36

Thanks to you all for your comments. As it happens, my mum is currently trying to write her life story so she's beaten me to it ! I am now the proud owner of hundreds of photos including ones of my great grandparents. My American cousin had the foresight to put an advert in the Kerry Eye about his visit and relatives came out of the woodwork.!

Miriam

Miriam Report 19 Sep 2008 09:51

Dear Shannette

Lovely to hear your story. I've made contact with distant cousins via email - not been lucky enough to meet any yet.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best wishes

Maria

Donna

Donna Report 19 Sep 2008 12:14

Yes ,I did something similar

Dad left London in 1939 as an Evacuee and never returned. His mother had always fed stories to him and his other 6 siblings that there was in fact 6 more children born before them. She believed they had died in the blitz.
I started this search to discover their names etc..but what I did find was the 2 were still living. Not only in touch with them ,but lots of cousins also. Time had passed so quickly as life does and the cousins hadn't seen each other for 25 years or so. With me contacting each one and putting them back intouch with one another as been very rewarding.

In a few weeks dad and the rest of his brothers and sister are going to meet his lost sister for the first time. He is 75 and she is 78. I can't wait.

Karen

Karen Report 19 Sep 2008 13:58

Aw, Donna, that is so lovely.
Is so rewarding when you are able to reunite people as part of our quest.

What a wonderful reunion that will be.

Donna

Donna Report 19 Sep 2008 22:47

Things happen for a reason! everyone on this site have been so helpful in my search. Hope this story makes your efforts worthwhile.