Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where they adopted

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Twig

Twig Report 18 Sep 2008 16:29

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know how i can find out if a child was adopted at say the age of 2-3? in the mid 1960`s
Would this info be added to the birth registry when the adoption took place?
Thank you

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Sep 2008 16:31

I'm not really certain, but I think there are usually some numbers or letters handwritten next to the birth record in the index if an adoption has taken place.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 18 Sep 2008 16:38

Original birth certificate doesnt give any dates as to when an adoption took place,,only adopted included to show the child/person/s was........

It may show a ref to alteration in birth indexes but not always,,,

Twig

Twig Report 18 Sep 2008 20:37

Oh Ok, thank you both, i will order the birth certificates and just wait and see then.
Thanks again x

Twig

Twig Report 19 Sep 2008 13:49

It appears that your right, i was phoned from the registry office today to tell me that they were both adopted, on asking how she knew
she said "its written adopted on there" so im not sure where its written but even though one was adopted when he was 2-4 they still go back and write in by the original entry.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 20 Sep 2008 00:35

Hi Mr H

After an adoption has been granted in the court the law requires the original birth registration to be amended and the word 'Adopted' is written in one of the columns.

Then the adopted child is placed on the Adopted Children Register in their adoptive names. The index to this register can seen at some major libraries in England and Wales.

Cheers Gerry

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 20 Sep 2008 08:56

Hi, Mr Happy, did you have to wait long to find out if they were adopted or not as i have the same problem with 2 children we don't know what happened to them in 1932 & 1935, we have not found any deaths for them so we think they were adopted. I have contacted social services in Edinburough but they said theres a six month waiting list. Debbie

Twig

Twig Report 20 Sep 2008 22:53

Hi Debbie,
No all i did was ordered their birth certificates (on Thursday they came this morning Sat), from the registery office they were born under, i just phoned them direct with the details. The lady from the the registry office rang me the next day to say did i still want the certificates as both children were adopted. It also says their adopted on the botton of the birth certificate.
But both children were born in 1965 and 1967 so it maybe differant as yours were born longer ago.
Good luck though.

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 23 Sep 2008 16:32

Thanks, i emailed the registry office and they got back to me and said the ones i were looking for were not adopted legally so not sure if they went into a home or with foster parents. Debbie