Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

English Death Notices

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 19 Sep 2008 21:37

I am wondering if anyone can help me.

I have found the deaths of two English relations and was interested in finding a newspaper Death Notice or Obituary for them, with the hope that I might find out details of their immediate family. Does anyone know where I could go to find out?

The details are:

Patricia Hilda S Reader
Died Feb 2004 at Eastbourne, Sussex

Hilda Helen Sommerville Reader (nee Mason)
Died Apr 1986 at Sutton, Surrey

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sarah
Brisbane, Australia

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 19 Sep 2008 21:51

Sarah

You could also try newspapers for the area online as some have archive family announcements.
Sue

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 19 Sep 2008 21:51

Not all families post death notices.........so don't be too disappointed if you don't find any.

The name and 'qualification' of the person registering the each of the deaths may prove helpful to you, but it would mean buying the certs.............

Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee Report 19 Sep 2008 22:34

Thank you David, Sue and Ericthered.

I will try to contact the newspapers or libraries to see if they can help.

Any ideas the names of the newspapers I would need? Or the names of the local libraries? I will have to try to Google to find contact details.

I have the certificates on order, so hopefully I will get some more details from those.

Once again, thank you for your advice.

Sarah