Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

children homes

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 20 Sep 2008 13:54

can anyone help me i have searched and searched for info on my grandfather but cannot find a BC for him because i cannot match up a census as i can find no record of his father what soever . the only record i keep coming back to is a record of a boy of the same age living in a chilrens home for cruelly treated children on the 1901 census so do you think this could possibly be him and how do i go about looiking at any records for this any help would be appreciated
regards

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 20 Sep 2008 14:03

Hello Eileen,
You could order your grandfathers birth certificate for his father's name and then ask for a check to be done (against fathers name) by ordering the certificate from the GRO
Paul

Kay????

Kay???? Report 20 Sep 2008 14:07

Hi Eileen,

If you can locate a birth for the child in 1901 then send for that brith certificate,it could reveal parents or at best a mothers name,,

Many local archives or record offices could hold deposited information records of the home,often giving personal details of the inmates, that is another route to concider,,

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 20 Sep 2008 15:21

Eileen ..Do you have your his Marriage Cert. that should give you the name of his father.....

Christine

RStar

RStar Report 20 Sep 2008 17:17

I dont suppose theres any chance he could have been born in Scotland? Only that solved one of my own probs with a birth cert, a few yrs ago. Or if his father was in the army, he could have been born in India etc.

Eileen

Eileen Report 20 Sep 2008 23:01

many thanks for your reply but i do have g gran fathers name but cannot find him on any search at all and as there are a number of possibilities for my grandfather and i have only his name how can i match up the right one to obtain cert for more info on g grandfather i have g grandfathers name from grandfathers m cert
many thanks

Peter

Peter Report 20 Sep 2008 23:16

Eileen,

If I understand you correctly you have his name and that of his father. If you apply to the GRO for the most likely certificate and specify a check on the father's name they will only issue it if both names are right. If the father's name is different it will merely cost £3. However, it may be that your grandfather was illegitimate if he was in a children's home and may well have have made up a name for his own marriage certificate. This is very common.

Peter