Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

look up

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2008 20:46

Hi

Does any one know how & where to look up address? or how to get to the previous page in a census, the page i have looked at says continued and i dont know how to find the names on the previous page

thanks

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 25 Sep 2008 20:48

Hi Karen

tell me the info and I'll check ancestry for you.

Dee x

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2008 20:50

thanks

Grace Sladen 1901 census, living at 98 Rusholme Road, South Manchester, mother Mary Anne Dobbs, and Frederick Dobbs, Soldier but can't make out the rest of the writing, need to try and find if their were others living there at the same time hopefully her father Frederick and possibly sisters Emily & Susan

x

Sam

Sam Report 25 Sep 2008 20:55

When you are looking at the image on Ancestry, click the green arrows at the top to move forward or back a page.

Sam x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 25 Sep 2008 20:57

Hi,

This is the census;

1901 England Census
about Grace Sladen
Name: Grace Sladen
[Grace Dobbs]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1876
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Mary A
Where born: Newcastle Upon Tyne, Northamptonshire, England

Civil Parish: South Manchester
Ecclesiastical parish: St Luke
County/Island: Lancashire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Chorlton
Sub registration district: Chorlton upon Medlock
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 95
Household Members: Name Age
Alice Clemments 51
George Clemments 61
Frederick Dobbs 26
Mary A Dobbs 59
Georgina Hillard 48
Emma M Horie 28
Kate Owen 19
Grace Sladen 25
John W Sladen 1

On the actual image and the previous page there is only Mary A showing listed as married.

Dee x

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2008 20:57

Hi Sam

Sorry to sound ignorant but I am new to this, is that on Ancestory web page on here on GR census page?

i am a complete novice at this

Karen

Karen Report 25 Sep 2008 21:02

thank you so much, yes that is the image i have got thought there might have been more info on previous page, Grace Sladen (Dobbs) is my great grandmother, I can find her in 1881, with Emily & Susan but then in 1891 there is no trace of Emily or Susan, but in 1901 Frederick appears, but can not find him in 1881 or 1891?

it can get really frustrating this but never mind patience is needed - thanks again for your help

Karen x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 25 Sep 2008 21:16

Hi Karen,

Emily and Susan most probably married, they were older than Grace so this is most likely.

Had a quick look, this could be a possible??

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Sep 1891 (>99%)
--
Barrett William Robert Rochford 4a 688
Clark Mary Ann Rochford 4a 688
Dobbs Susannah Duce Rochford 4a 688 <<<<<<
Tillbrook George Rochford 4a 688

Emilys birth??
DOBBS Emily Binney Newcastle T. 10b 41

Couldn't see amarriage with the middle intial B.

freebmd is a fab site and is free.

All the best on your search, Dee x

Karen

Karen Report 26 Sep 2008 15:41

Hi Dee,

Had a look and found the ones you mentioed, yes think they are the same, dont think Emily married as I have now found her in 1901 as a visitor,

Do you have full access on the BMD site, I was considering full subscription, as some record I look for are not there, but show possibilities in the locked area, I have full subscription to this site and dont really want to pay again if i dont get any more information,

You sound like you are experienced at this so would value your opinion

Thanks Karen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 26 Sep 2008 15:58

Karen,

Don't use Genes credits for your research - it is the most expensive way to search.

A subscription to Ancestry may seem expensive but you will find it invaluable and you can do as many searches as you like 24 hours a day.

Kath. x

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 26 Sep 2008 16:22

Hi Karen,

I back what Kath has said all the way, you'll spend a some fortune searching via GR, ancestry is a must and works out cheaper in the long run.

Only 1 problem with a subscription to ancestry, you can't stop searching, better get your match sticks out, you'll need them.

All the best in your hunting, Dee x

Karen

Karen Report 26 Sep 2008 17:51

Hi thanks for that, as I am new to all this i did subscribe for 6 months on Genes, the census are great but the birth, death & marriage are a night mare, you scroll through page after page and still can not find the person you are looking for. I didn't realise how addictive it can be, that is until i hit a brick wall which i keep doing and feel like giving it all up.

Thanks again for you help and advice

Karen