Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coombs. Still Unproven. Possible ancestor sibling.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 26 Sep 2008 10:08

Hi

I mentioned before in my previous posts that my 3xgreat grandfather William Thomas Coombs elder brother Matthew George Coombs lived normally in Marylebone then Clerkenwell after 1839 in London but he wed in 1835 and 1845 at the same church in Paddington. His first wife died in Clerkenwell and he then moved temporarily to Paddington where he wed his second wife there. Matthew's address was given as North Wharf Road, but bearing in mind that a lot of other people who wed in the church gave that road as their address.

Matthew George Coombs was born in 1812 to George & Sarah Coombs. George was born c1785-1790. Sarah was born in 1791.

In the 1851 census there was a Thomas Coombs, aged 56, labourer, born Westminster, living down North Wharf Road, the road that Matthew temporarily lived at in 1845. Thomas was not baptised at any Westminster churches on the IGI and I checked St Geo Han Square & St John Smith Square (both not on IGI)and no baptisms. But I found his baptism in March 1793 at St Margaret, Westminster, a church also not on the IGI.

Thomas was born in November 1792, the son of Thomas & Sarah Coombs. They had two previous children, William Thomas Coombs in 1787 and William Coombs in 1789, so the first William must have died. I could not find any other baptisms of children to Thos & Sarah and they didnt marry at St Margaret, St Geo or St John Westminster. I cannot find a relevant marriage on the IGI. I cannot locate any other baptisms to the same parents.

I always thought they were related but then again Coombs is not such a rare name. But my 3xgreat grandfather was born William Thomas Coombs in 1828, the same name as the one born in 1787 in Westminster.

I wonder if they are connected, or George may have been born elsewhere. But why would Matthew George Coombs get wed twice at a church that he didnt normally reside in otherwise?

Ben

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 26 Sep 2008 11:53

Maybe Matthews second wife came from Paddington. Does it give her address on the marriage certificate? My guess would be that Thomas Coombs (b.1792) was a relative (possibly uncle) whose address was used to save on the expense of having the banns read out in Clerkenwell.

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 26 Sep 2008 12:12

Hi Christina

Matthew's second wife Elizabeth Auber was born in Shoreditch in East London. Her sister Emma Auber was living in Clerkenwell in 1843, just round the corner from Matthew Coombs in Seymour Place. They must have known each other before his first wife died.

His first wife died in Clerkenwell on 7 April 1845. By 1st June 1845, Matthew and his 2nd wife had their banns read in Paddington on 1st, 8th and 15th June 1845 for a 14th July wedding. He was of North Wharf Road, and she was of Dudley Street according to the banns and marriage cert, just round the corner from each other so neither of the spouses lived in Paddington prior to 1845, or after, yet Matthew wed his first wife there in 1835 but lived in Marylebone until 1840 and from then on in Clerkenwell.

Just after his first wife died, Matthew and his fiancee quickly moved to Paddington from Clerkenwell then had their banns read. Why??

Any further suggestions?

Ben

Deb needs a change

Deb needs a change Report 26 Sep 2008 12:22

Just a though but do you know if Mathew and his wives were of the same denomination?

If was one Catholic and the other wasn't, they wouldn't have been allowed to marry in the church. It may have been easier for them to find a church that would marry them rather than one or the other going through the proccess of conversion.

Deb:)

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 26 Sep 2008 13:52

HI

They both wed by banns. If Matthew got wed twice in the same church and his second wife was not from that area either then the church connection is obviously through Matthew. He christened his two 1830s born children at All Souls Marylebone, then St John The Baptist in Hoxton from 1845 onwards by his 2nd wife.

I wouldn't know if he was a Catholic though but his brother William was a Christian according to his 1885 workhouse creed register so I wonder if that is of any help. Matthew's 2nd wife was baptised at an Anglican church in 1818. Christ Church, Spitalfields.

Ben