Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A question to anyone who has Windows Vista?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 14:12

I have noticed that when I am on a website such as GR and I try to open another window say Scotlands people or any other website, it knocks out Genes Reunted or anyother website I have opened before.

Does this happen to anyone else? bit of a problem when you go to search something and go back to enter details on GR and its gone, you have to open it again to type info, hope you can follow all this.

Betty

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 26 Sep 2008 14:47

Have you not got tabs on your toolbar?I have a laptop with Vista.I have tabs which allow me to open different sites up and keep the current 1's open.You should have this on vista-was also on xp.Its next to the stars-for favourites and add to favourites on the left side of the toolbar.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 14:47

Hi Libra Lady,

Its such a pain, when you say do a lookup for someone on GR and go to open up Scotlands People or Ancestry, then the GR screen goes off. It happens with everything, you just can't have more than one website open at one time.

Betty

Suein10b

Suein10b Report 26 Sep 2008 14:49

Betty

I have no problems.

What browser are you using ?

Sue

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 26 Sep 2008 14:50

Have a look at your tab settings under Internet options -general,see if that helps.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 14:52

Hi Michelle,

I am also on laptop with Vista but I don't know what you mean about Have you not got tabs on your toolbar?

I have File Edit View Favourites Tools Help which one??

Betty

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 26 Sep 2008 15:05

Tabs are the boxes that you can open to allow you to flick from one site onto another site.
This is what comes up when you open a new tab

You've opened a new tab

With tabs you can:
Use one Internet Explorer window to view all your webpages.
Open links in a background tab while viewing the page you're on.
Save and open multiple webpages at once by using favorites and home page tabs.

To get started:
Press the CTRL key while clicking links (or use the middle mouse button).
Click any tab with the middle mouse button to close it.
Press ALT+ENTER from the address bar or search box to open the result in a new tab.

Learn more about tabs

Show more tab shortcuts

Keyboard shortcuts Open links in a new tab in the background CTRL+click
Open links in a new tab in the foreground CTRL+SHIFT+click
Open a new tab in the foreground CTRL+T
Open a new tab from the Address bar ALT+ENTER
Open a new tab from the search box ALT+ENTER
Open Quick Tabs (thumbnail view) CTRL+Q
Switch between tabs CTRL+TAB/CTRL+SHIFT+TAB
Switch to a specific tab number CTRL+n (n can be 1-8)
Switch to the last tab CTRL+9
Close current tab CTRL+W
Close all tabs ALT+F4
Close other tabs CTRL+ALT+F4

Mouse shortcuts Open a link in a background tab Click the middle mouse button on a link
Open a new tab Double-click the empty space to the right of the last tab
Close a tab Click the middle mouse button on the tab

Then you enter the site you wish to go on and the other sites stay open.If you go to tools and then to Internet options and then onto General it has the tabs settings there.If you still confused do a google search on tabs and they may explainit better than me-well they prob will!!!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 15:12

Oh Michelle,

Thats all a bit much for me really, I don't have a clue about computer things I would muck that up if I were to even try it.

Betty

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 15:25

Hi Island,

I am not quite sure about these tabs thing, but will have to maybe try something because it is such a pain when you have to reopen every website again.

Betty

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 26 Sep 2008 16:03

The best thing to do is to go to online help for Windows Vista and send a message to them with your problem.
If you go to your main screen before you go online and look for help and support click on this and you will be given an option on here for online help.Hopefully being that this is Vista Support they should be able to help with your problem.
Good luck!

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 16:04

Hi Island,

Its a pain when you go to say Ancestry or Scotlands people to do a lookup for someone on GR, you find what you want, copy and paste it then try to get back to the person but the link for GR has gone, then I try to remember which board I was on. Then I have to search again for the post, then after all this I eventually manage to post the message if you can find the post.

Betty

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 Sep 2008 16:06

I have just looked at a vista laptop
tools
internet options
tabs settings
is there a tick at
open new tabs next to current tab?
there should be.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 16:13

Hi Jim,

I managed to check that and yes there is a tick at open new tabs next to current tab.

Betty

Thelma

Thelma Report 26 Sep 2008 16:29

My wife is looking;
At the tab settings
three options at open links
a new window
a new tab(ticked)
the current tab

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 26 Sep 2008 16:33

Jim sent you a pm