Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

java applet,how do you download it?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 30 Sep 2008 17:11

hi, ive just bought credits for scotlands people,when i tried to view the page it was blank, i thought i had installed a reader,tried to intall it again and still no luck,could anybody talk me through how to do it please,im so annoyed as the page i wanted to view was very inportant to my research.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 30 Sep 2008 17:28

Hi Suzanne,

From Scotlands People website

Requirements - If your browser is not Java-enabled, you will need to download the Java component to be able to view images. This can be downloaded from http://java.sun.com - the download you require is the J2SE standard edition and the JRE download for windows

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 30 Sep 2008 18:09

What browser do you use? I use direct download but you can use whichever is suitable for you. Also check this info from Scotlands People too:-

USING AN IMAGE VIEWER

ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk uses two image viewers on its site to give you added flexibility when viewing document images: Prizm “ActiveX”, and the ViewONE Java™ applet. Viewing images by this method will initially take longer than by direct download, but it does provide you with the tools to view, zoom, scroll, pan, rotate and annotate and print your images easily and quickly on screen.
We recommend that before you start searching you test your browser's image viewing capabilities. To do this, login to the site and then select "My Details" from the top menu. Scroll to the link entitled "Click here to test your browser for compatibility with each image viewer". This will allow you to detect any problems.

The image viewer that you select will depend on your computer and browser type:

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 30 Sep 2008 20:27

thank you.x

Woody's

Woody's Report 30 Sep 2008 21:29

Suzanne

Click on "My Details"
Then scroll down to "Application Options"
Where it says "Image Viewer" select it using the drop-down options.
Like Betty, I use Direct Download as I find it much easier and also the image is clearer.
Whichever viewer you choose, don't forget to click "Update Details" as that saves your information.
Hope you get on okay.

By the way, always click "View" and NOT "Order" as "Order" will cost you £10 - granted you will get a pretty certificate sent to you, but by clicking "View" you will get instant information and it costs 5 credits!

Good luck.