Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

maps

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 30 Sep 2008 19:39

can anyone help, does anyone know a web site that lets you look at old maps, i would really like to see a map of kingston upon hull east yorkshire from about 1900 1920, thanks

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 30 Sep 2008 19:43

www.old-maps.co.uk
or

http://www.ponies.me.uk/maps/osmap.html

or just google old maps, there are several sites

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 30 Sep 2008 19:45

It is unlikely you will find much for free, other than small scale maps.

Have a look at http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/ There are a number of Hull maps for sale. These are mainly copies of old OS maps

I have used them on several occasions, and
prices are very reasonable

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Oct 2008 11:07

thanks for your help i will go and look now, sorry had to go off line suddenly last night, thanks again for your help lisa

mgnv

mgnv Report 1 Oct 2008 11:11

I normally use http://www.old-maps.co.uk/ - it's not so much the small scale that's a pain, but the small viewing window.

I find it's a bit too easy to get lost, so I normally find things on a modern map first. I normally use http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ first. What I want to find is OS coordinates for the place I'm interested in. If I enter "Hull", it turns out I go direct to a modern OS map, but if I enter, say, "Prospect Street", then I get into a modern street map of Hull. I can get to a modern OS map by clicking on the little house shapes in the bottom right margin, I want to read the URLs as I hover over different squares on the map. These (on either map) contain the OS coords of the sq's centre (and a mess of junk), and you'll see the coord change as I move my cursor either horizontally or vertically. So I'ld guess the interesection of Prospect and Baker as 509300, 429100.

Next, I'ld "start your search" at old-maps, and enter the coords I've just gotten and go. Under the window, select the map - there's a 1911 and 1938 6" map (1:10560), and a 1928 25" map (1:2500). Although the 25" map might be the better one to purchase, the 6" map is the better one to view, so lets select 1911. One can use the zoom and movement buttons to adjust exactly what you're viewing (there are no buttons for the 25" maps, one recentres via the coordinates, or by switching maps)

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Oct 2008 11:46

thanks for all that info i'm not very good at this sort of thing but what i'm looking for is fleet street i don't believe there is one now or at least i can't find it, it's silly really but it's a round a bout way of trying to trace a person, his name is fred milner his wife annie died in 1918 at fleet street he was still alive then by her death cert but i cannot find a death anywhere for him and we do no that there second eldest child called ethel brought up all the other siblings but we have no idea why, it's all very strange been at this person for two yrs now and it's driving me mad, i'll go and try now, thanks again,lisa

Lisa

Lisa Report 1 Oct 2008 11:59

unfortunatley i am still having a lot of trouble trying to trace this area, is there anyone out there that maybe knows the area that could confirm the address it is fleet street beverly road hull east yorkshire, ny husband was brought up in the are but he has no recolection of this address, thanks

Lisa

Lisa Report 9 Sep 2009 15:17

this got no further for me i have been unable to be online for a while but am back now if any one can at all help with this fred milner and his death it would be great

mgnv

mgnv Report 10 Sep 2009 06:29

Drive S past Hull railroad station; after 300m you hit the A63 (Castle St).
Turn E for 600m then S (just before the R Hull) and you're on Queen St (510000,428300);
turn W for 600m then S and you're on St James Rd; (In 1911, St James also ran N to Analby St.)

I was looking on the 1881 census:
St James Rd ends on rg10/4405/50/11 and Queen St starts on rg10/4405/60/32
Fleet St runs from rg10/4405/51/13 thru rg10/4405/54/20

Maybe the enumerators description would help narrow things down, but lacking that, my guess was Fleet St was just E of St James Rd, near the Humber.