Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I find Scottish Relatives????

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Oct 2008 13:55

I'm really stuck with tracing a Scottish line in my family. I've looked on Scotlands people and Ancestry and they're not comin up with anything! I'm looking for anyone who has info on a John Scott born around 1865. He had a son Malcolm James b1883 in Campbeltown in Scotland. I have Malcolm's marriage cert which confirms that John was his father and a joiner. In the 1891 census Malcolm is living with his grandmother Margaret Martin b1831. I think Malcolm was a mariner and thats why I cant find him on further census reports, but I'm having trouble with his father John.I think John married one of the daughters of Margaret Martin but I'm not sure which. Can't find a marriage either!! If anyone has any info or tips as to where to go with this it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jenny

Sarah

Sarah Report 1 Oct 2008 15:35

Hi Jenny,

I hope I have read your message correctly, if not please just ignore this!

Have you managed to find a birth for Malcolm?

The only births I could find on Scotlandspeople for a Malcolm Scott born between 1882-1884 were in Linlithgow, Selkirk, Melrose and Paisley, I couldn't find any in Argyll.

However there is this birth in Campbeltown, Argyll:

Malcolm James Martin b.1883 Campbeltown, Argyll

It might be worth having a look at, perhaps he was born before his parents were married, so was registered with his Mother's surname?

Best of luck with your research,
Sarah

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 1 Oct 2008 16:07

Hi Jennifer you could try this site it has some Scottish details on there i.e. census for 1841 - 1891 and is free

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Oct 2008 17:35

Ah Sarah! I think you've got it! I'm sure Malcolm's mothers maiden name was Martin as he was living with them in 1891, but couldn't find a birth as was looking for Scott!!! Thank you soooo much!
Jenny

ps., thanks very much Paula, will check this site out now!

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Oct 2008 17:51

I have just found the birth on Scotlands people and on the cert the name says Malcolm James Scott so it does add up. THe mother is a Maggie Martin, which I have found on the census reports to be lving with the grandmother Margaret in the 1881 census. The only problem I'm having now is that the father is recorded as Robert Scott, not John Scott which is on Malcolm's marriage cert. Did people ever change their names or use middle names on these documents do you think? I'm confused all over again!!

Sarah

Sarah Report 2 Oct 2008 11:04

Hi Jenny,

Glad I could help! :)

In my tree it is quite common for someone to be born as say, William Walter - then to marry as Walter William, and one year in the census to be down as "William" and the next census to be "Walter" again!! So it could be that Malcolm's father was called John, but known as Robert, or called Robert but known as John!

Does Malcolm's birth cert give the date and place of his parents marriage? You might be able to find it on the Scotlandspeople site without having to fill in the male forename detail?

Best wishes,
Sarah

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 4 Oct 2008 17:15

Have looked at the birth more closely and it says Malcolm was illegitimate. cant find a record of his parents marriage anywhere so i assume they went their separate ways. Still not sure why it said John his marriage cert tho, the only thing i can think is that he never knew his fathers name!