Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to correct incorrect relationship

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yuli

Yuli Report 1 Oct 2008 13:58

Hi
I'm stuck.
Whilst adding a daughter and her husband to my tree, she now appears to have the correct parents, but also parents with no names. Her husband is now a son of her parents as well as being married to her. It won't let me change his parents to no known parents and it won't let me change any of the details as they are all connected by "multiple relationships".

This happened when Genes seemed to freeze whilst saving. Any solutions?

The change parents option does not seem to do anything.

Cheers

RutlandBelle

RutlandBelle Report 1 Oct 2008 14:43

I think you have to start at the bottom i.e. youngest and delete upwards.

Yuli

Yuli Report 1 Oct 2008 15:07

You have got to be joking, that is about 400 rellies.

Any suggestions of an all singing all dancing package I can use on my PC?

Thank you for taking the time to reply Rutland Belle.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 1 Oct 2008 15:18

I THINK you do this?

"If you have children entered for a marriage with both partners and an undefined mother/father click on the child in your tree, scroll down and select edit tools you will see a change parent tab .
Select this and select the correct parents from the list.
Then save
You should then be able to remove the undefined
mother/father"

That is what Genes suggested when I had the same problem and it worked for me though I just had an extra mother!

Yuli

Yuli Report 1 Oct 2008 16:11

Thank you Elizabeth, unfortunately it won't let me select change parents.

I even tried editing the records just so that it was obvious that they were errors, planning to add two correct records. However, her sibling (my main line) has now decided that he is related to the "non parents" and it won't change. They seem to be related at every angle. You couldn't set up this type of relationship even if you wanted to. It has been some sort of Genes glitch. I am now looking at rootsmagic.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Oct 2008 13:09

Yuli

Send an e-mail to Genes via the "contact us" bar at the bottom of this page and they will reply-eventually.
They may do it for you so explain the problem!

Yuli

Yuli Report 2 Oct 2008 18:59

Thank you Elizabeth, it is worth a shot.

Yuli

Yuli Report 3 Oct 2008 07:10

They fixed it!
All back to normal now. I am still getting rootmagic but relieved that my GR tree is OK and can carry on with it. Will do regular gedcom backups now.

Thanks Elizabeth.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 3 Oct 2008 07:55

Glad to hear GR have sorted it for you.

Just a little tip which others may find useful. When you add a person, GR automatically fills in the parents, for you, if none already exist, but with no names.You then edit the "blank" to give the correct details.

If you try to add new parents then you can end up with a similar situation to this.

Yuli

Yuli Report 3 Oct 2008 12:07

I think it was a technical glitch, Gremlin. The parents were already there, I was trying to add a child and her husband. He had no other details. I think that when Genes seem to freeze during the save, that is when the problem ocurred.

The techies sorted it out very quickly, for which I am grateful.

Yuli

Yuli Report 4 Oct 2008 22:28

UPDATE:

I got my new RootsMagic software today. I exported my genes tree and imported it into my new RM. The two records that were causing me problems were included in the export although I cannot see them in genes. Interesting. I am sure that I can sort it out myself in my new RM.

The techies obviously have sorted out the relationship and hidden the two bad records from view but they are still in the tree somewhere.

When I have sorted everything out 100% I will upload my new RM tree into genes and hopefully that will sort things out.

Unless anyone knows different?

Sheila

Sheila Report 5 Oct 2008 10:44

I did the same thing and deleted all records but still had the same problem I contact Genes reunited help desk and they corrected this for me.

Good luck

Yuli

Yuli Report 5 Oct 2008 11:19

Hi Sheila
Isn't it annoying?
So far I am quite impressed with my rootsmagic. I found that my genes tree wasn't quite right. I downloaded it into RM and ran a report that showed quite a few problems (mainly my data). I identified them on Genes and corrected them. Downloaded the tree to RM where I was able to sort out a relationship that was incorrect.

I have now uploaded my RM tree to Genes and it appears sorted. Phew!