Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Did my grandad have brothers or sisters?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Thomas

Thomas Report 1 Oct 2008 15:28

I am at a total dead end with my grandad so can anyone give me a tip for finding if he had any brothers or sisters please? surely i dont have to start with the letter A working my way through the alphabet at every name i can think of until i get to Z and trying to match everyone to my great grandparents? a few descrepancies crop up on different documents as to my great grandmothers maiden surname ie Montford/Mountford but my great grandfathers name crops up as a man that married both of them and in the same area of Glasgow at the same time!

ann

ann Report 1 Oct 2008 15:47

Thomas when was your grandad born?If it was after the second quarter in 1911 all children would have there mothers maiden name on the index on bmd. Annie

Thomas

Thomas Report 1 Oct 2008 15:58

hi Grannie,unfortunatly it was 1908 in Glasgow.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 1 Oct 2008 16:17

You will need to subscribe to Scotlands people..............

Thomas

Thomas Report 1 Oct 2008 16:28

Hi Ericthered,But is there an easier way than trawling through thousands of names and trying to match every child by that surname to my great grandmother? even the census doesnt go beyond 1901......Thanks for everyones help in this.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 1 Oct 2008 17:05

Thomas,,

S/People will let you surname and area search,,but will need credit to view the results then credits to view for confimation of match,,

Thomas

Thomas Report 1 Oct 2008 19:33

I dont even know if my grandad had brothers or sisters so i have no names to go on.Like i say i do have my great grandparents names but contradictions in different documents on my great grandmothers surname,it shows up as either Montford or Mountford so i dont know which it is.