Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Naval records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allison

Allison Report 4 Oct 2008 22:05

Hi

My grandad fought in WW2 - and I believe he was in the Navy. I have seen on Ancestry that they have the casualties but wondered if you can just search a service record and where you can do this?

Thanks
Alli

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 4 Oct 2008 22:31

only place i can think of is
www.national archives
vvienne

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 4 Oct 2008 23:58

Alison

If your Grandad left the service prior to 1972 he would have been given all his service records when he was discharged from the Royal Navy.THese records are not searchable online nor viewable anywhere else
I know this for a fact my Dad was discharged in 1948 and i possess all his records.
However the Royal Navy records still hold certain info, and if you look at the link i am giving, you can see what they have.I believe NOK/Relations can apply for what they have, and it explains how to get them

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/royal_navy.html

Hope this helps George

Allison

Allison Report 5 Oct 2008 13:11

Thanks George - will certainly give that a try. My grandad would never talk about it and certainly doesn't seem to have left any naval record.

Thanks to you both
Alli