Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Cremation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 4 Oct 2008 22:16

Is there a site to show where people were cremated? When did cremation become popular?

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 4 Oct 2008 22:30

Think it started about 1874 and then more and more people wanted to be cremated rather than buried.

Betty

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Oct 2008 12:25

Thank you Betty. I didnt realise it was that early.
That might explain why people cant find burial places

Joy

Joy Report 5 Oct 2008 18:59

The Cremation Society of Great Britain
History of Modern Cremation in Great Britain from 1874: The First Hundred Years

(Written in 1974 on the occasion of the Cremation Society's Centenary)

http://www.srgw.demon.co.uk/CremSoc/History/HistSocy.html#introduction

Huia

Huia Report 5 Oct 2008 19:15

Here in NZ my grandparents were all cremated in the crematorium in Waikumete cemetery. Their names are on the cemetery records, with the fact they were cremated and their ashes were scattered, so at least I know what happened to them, even if I dont have a 'spot' to visit.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 5 Oct 2008 19:20

In other words, the cemetery in which the crematorium is placed would have records, I would imagine, and if the crematorium is a stand-alone thing it would still have records.

Huia.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Oct 2008 19:59

Hi Huia.
Im also down under in Auckland.

Thank you everyone for helping

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 5 Oct 2008 20:00

"It was in Llantrisant, on the 18th January 1884, that the 83-year-old Dr William Price truly made history.

Believing burial to be damaging to the environment, he cremated the dead body of his five-month-old son, Iesu Grist Price (Jesus Christ Price).

Cremation was illegal in Britain at the time, but Dr Price's success in the following court case prepared the way for the Cremation Act 1902"

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 5 Oct 2008 20:03

Hi Claire.
How interesting. I thought the reason for cremation was to save space which I expect it does.
I wonder how common it was in the early days though?

Huia

Huia Report 5 Oct 2008 23:57

Other countries have cremation, think of the funeral pyres in India.

Huia.