Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Postal directories

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

motherhen

motherhen Report 5 Oct 2008 07:45

Hi

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction. I have a family living in 19 Arden Street, Battersea, Wandsworth,London in the 1901 census. I am trying to find out how long they stayed there before moving back to Ireland.

Should I be looking at postal address directories or electoral rolls or something else to try and trace them? Where would I find these sources?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Diana

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 5 Oct 2008 13:37

Hi Diana

I would think the best bet would be the local directories and electoral registers. These can be found at the Wandsworth Local History/Heritage Service.

Malcolm
http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/Home/LeisureandTourism/Heritage/default.htm#contact

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 5 Oct 2008 15:45

There is a site called historicaldirectories. You might find something on there.

Ancestry have some London directories on line too.

Jill

motherhen

motherhen Report 5 Oct 2008 15:51

Hi Malcolm and Jill

Thank you for your advice. I shall try those sites.I didn't notice that Ancestry had London directories. I learn something new every day!

Thank you both for your help.

Kind regards

Diana