Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ready to go into production!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 5 Oct 2008 23:24

Hi folks,

My cousin is 70 in 5 weeks, I am trying to put together a presentation of her family tree in that short time. I have only just managed to get her husband's family and her father's family more or less sorted (lots of gaps still, as always). I just hope some of you have some tips on how to put it all together. I don't want to spend a fortune, so lots of stuff will be presented on a CD rather than printed out (e.g. census records). How should I do it?

I am thinking on the following lines for a folder:

An introduction of some sort, with a general outline of the family and a tree of her most recent ancestors. With subsequent trees for earlier generations.

Followed by four sections, her mother's line (which is mine), her father's line, her husband's mother's line, her husband's father's line. Within each, a family tree, genealogy printouts from FTM for each ancestral line, copies of any certificates I have bought (not a lot, the cost is huge and she already has some, so I can include blank folders for her to insert them), and other documents that I have found (I have significantly more on her husband's father's line than on any other line). I wonder if a separate file on him might be sensible. I have army records, photos, lots of stuff, whereas on her mother's line it is just plain census records etc.

I have looked at FTM books, but don't know how to work it. I'd like to write something rather than just shove descendent reports into plastic pockets. E.g. John Rodgers was appointed to the position of Captain in the 26th foot of wotsits, known as the Cameronians. On his retirement in 1851 he joined a second unit in Wakefield, Yorkshire, and below is a copy of a photograph of him in that uniform. In 1860 he married....... etc. etc.

Will FTM do this for me, or do I have a big typing job ahead of me?

Regards all

Margaret

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 5 Oct 2008 23:51

FTM has printing facilities....

If you havent already got FTM....theres no need to spend a fortune....Get the cheaper version.... 'Who do you think you are' costs abt £10 ASDA.

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 5 Oct 2008 23:54

www.genealogyprinters.com

This is Rons site and he is a well known member of GR. Have a chat with him.

He's got some really lovely Family charts...and not too expensive!

Gerri x

From his web page...

SEE YOUR PRINTED FAMILY TREE BEFORE YOU BUY OR PAY.

FREE postage and packing on most of our printed Family Trees (subject to chart size), no hidden extras.

WE OFFER A MUCH CHEAPER OPTION FOR PRINTING FAMILY TREES THAT YOU HAVE DESIGNED YOURSELF.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 6 Oct 2008 08:17

I've seen Ron's work & it's really good

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 6 Oct 2008 19:14

Hi

I don't think my cousin will want a large chart such as Ron provides, though I will probably order one when I get round to finalising my own tree.

I was really asking how to make FTM do the hard work with reports etc. as I am not very clever on them. FTM has a facility called "Books" but I can't understand what it does or how to use it.

Many thanks

Margaret