Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ANYBODY!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 6 Oct 2008 00:27

Can anybody help me?

I am trying to trace the HILL side of my family. When I do a search for Hill and enter 1987 +/- 10 years all I can get is all the "A's" for Hill.
I have around eight Hill members I need to find and obviously all their names do not start with an A.

Am I doing something wrong? or is it the site that is playing up?

PLease help me, I am now so wound up with the site.

Steve.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 6 Oct 2008 00:39

Hi Steve,

Are you paying to search on Genes Reunited?

Betty

Huia

Huia Report 6 Oct 2008 05:04

Unfortunately they only show the first 300. I have had that problem too, so unless you put in a first name you will get all the ones whose first name begins with A (or the first 300). You wont get any whose first name is Zachariah!

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 6 Oct 2008 06:02

You can go through the alphabet, though - using the % sign as a wildcard - eg: "B% Hill" will give you all the B's, etc. If you still get more than 300, use "Ba% Hill", "Be% Hill", etc.

Steven

Steven Report 14 Oct 2008 00:06

Betty Boo from Dundee, Huia down under, Richard in Perth & Yummy Mummy.

Thank you all so very much for your replies, Betty, yes I am paying to search on Genes Reunited, Richard, your idea with the % works, thank you. and Yummy Mummy your idea also works, I think I have it sorted now.

Thank you all again.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 14 Oct 2008 00:15

Steven....... Please don`t spend anymore money on searches on GR..... you can sign up for a free 14day trial at Ancestry or ask on here for look ups... giving what information you already have and what you are actually looking for, there are many people willing to help, I believe the GR credits are very expensive.

Nicky