Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help with reading a census record,please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 7 Oct 2008 16:00

Hi does any one have any tips on how to read a census return? I have access via ancestry would it be easier to read on another site?
The ayres family please

Cookham, Berkshire, England

Class: RG10; Piece: 1292; Folio: 32; Page: 7; GSU roll: 827858.

Thank you

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 Oct 2008 16:05

Dont think so, you can change to original view and magnify it but its a v poor image, who are you looking at ?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 Oct 2008 16:20

James 58....
eliza,wife 52
caroline 23
eliza 18
Daughter Amy ?10
Beatrice 1
Alice 13
John 16
William 21

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 7 Oct 2008 16:27

Hi Lindsey, I wanted to see if i was trying to make it mine,if you understand what i mean. And i think i was.

I thought it was John 58 and then susan 53 i got caroline as well. But i couldn't even hazard a guess at the others.

Thank you. I am now almost sure they aren't mine,

:-(

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 7 Oct 2008 16:35

Maybe if you try to find them before and after? they might help, the girls were farm hands and boys ag labs.

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 7 Oct 2008 17:21

That is just it, they have only ever been found on the 1861 census. They moved around a fair bit, even trying to find them in the areas that they children in just before a census has not proved successful. The name change in about 1872 hasn't helped either,lol.
Thank you.

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 7 Oct 2008 17:28

Civil Parish: South Newton
Ecclesiastical parish: South Newton
County/Island: Wiltshire

Caroline Ayres 8
Edward Ayres 1 Mo
Eliza Ayres 10
Henry Ayres 3
Nehemiah Ayres 30
Rhoda Ayres 5