Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO districts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 7 Oct 2008 22:45

Does anyone known what district Addlestone in Surrey would come under in 1893 on the GRO districts. I have tried looking on the freebmd districts by clicking on them but can't find Addlestone under any.
Many Thanks
Josie

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Oct 2008 22:46

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Worth making a note of this site for registration districts

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Oct 2008 22:49

Might be Chertsey.

Have you found the person on 1901 census to see what the registration district is

JosieByCoast

JosieByCoast Report 7 Oct 2008 23:11

Thanks, had a look on that site and couldn't find Addlestone. But yes Chertsey is the district the birth was registered in, it they are fairly close to each other.
I'm trying to help someone out but our info is slightly different. He says his grandfather was born in Aldershot and that the middle name is different. I have who I think is his grandfather on my database but born in Addlestone which the 1901 census confirms although the family were living in Aldershot. Being an army family they moved around quite a bit. The middle name I have matches with the marriage index initial to his grandmother. And there are no other persons with that name born at that time, apart from one that I know it isn't as he is from my line.
I just wanted to say to him that Addlestone came under Chertsey, but it doesn't show up.

Thelma

Thelma Report 8 Oct 2008 07:39

From 1891
Civil Parish: Chertsey
Ecclesiastical parish: Addlestone
Town: Addlestone
County/Island: Surrey
Registration district: Chertsey
Sub registration district: Chertsey

Peter Chandler Ellen abt 1890 Addlestone, Surrey, England Son Chertsey, Surrey
This is Addlestone.

Mark_of_Four_(Counties)

Mark_of_Four_(Counties) Report 8 Oct 2008 09:18

Aldershot HAM 1837 1932 Farnham
Aldershot HAM 1932 1974 Aldershot

HAM = Hampshire, of course.

This is from the 'reverse-lookup' document produced by freeBMD which you can download in pdf format from a link on the page below.

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/places/

Curiously, Addlestone is not mentioned at all in my copy of this index. Perhaps I need to download the latest version of it?

Or was Addlestone a Victorian "new town"?

regards,

Mark