Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A little help please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irene

Irene Report 8 Oct 2008 11:38

I have Family Tree Maker 2005 on my pc. I have(several times)put all my living relatives details on this programme on my pc. On GR I have not added these details of my living relations to my family tree. When I import my Gedcom File from GR to my Family Tree Maker it wipes out all the info I have put on Family Tree Maker re my living relations.
Any tips how I can prevent this happening please. Many thanks Irene

Sam

Sam Report 8 Oct 2008 11:44

You would really be better off doing it the other way round, keeping FTM as your main tree and then updating the GR one :-)

You should be able to 'merge' the GEDCOM exported from GR with the existing one on your FTM, that way it will merge the two files together (thus keeping the extra rellies in FTM) rather than one overwriting the other.

Sam x

Irene

Irene Report 8 Oct 2008 17:18

Thank you. Not sure what I am doing wrong but living relatives are now not on FTM. I will have to experiment and see if I can resolve the problem. Many thanks Irene

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 8 Oct 2008 17:26

FTM is a program which allows you to see and manipulate data. The data itself is held in a separate file.

As MGHS says, you can have several data files on your PC. Can you please explain just how you have accessed the GR download file? I.e. by clicking on it or by file import from the FTM drop down menus?.