Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Industrial Work Camps in the 1930's

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jac

Jac Report 8 Oct 2008 14:52

I've asked this question before and didnt have much luck but here goes for a second time:

Anyone know anything about industrial work camps that were set up by the Government during the Depression in the 1930's here in the UK?

Apparently they were set up to give the unemployed an opportunity to work for a living rather than starve.

Any info. would be helpful to me.

thanks

Jac XX

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Oct 2008 15:14

Have a look at this

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/Work-camps-on-TV-show.4423707.jp

also Google, Industrial Work Camps in the 1930's

Roy

Jac

Jac Report 8 Oct 2008 15:43

Thanks Roy - I've seen that article, and am trying to contact Prof.Sheilds via the newspaper.

I only wondered if anyone else had a family member who might have been in one of these camps, or knew anything about them.

I've also googled as you suggested, but there is very very little on the internet - in fact it seems there is not very much knowledge available about them.

Appreciate your interest though.

Jac XX