Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hugh Wallis IGI - WARNING VIRUS - Updated

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 8 Oct 2008 21:10

I just want to warn everyone I have been on the above site and have had 3 virus warnings. I was on it a few days ago and got the same thing but could not be positive it was from that site as I had been on a couple of others but tonight I have only been on there so it is from that site.

Luckily I have a good virus program so please everyone be careful. It is really a pity as I was hoping to get the information I need from there.

Christine
10 Oct 2008
Just an update on this I went on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountryEngland.htm

last night with no problems but have just tried to go on it and it comes up that access is not available. I spent about 3 hours on the site last night.

I get the worm virus problem if I go on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 8 Oct 2008 22:07

It seems to be just Hugh Wallis I have used Familysearch with no problems.

Christine

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 8 Oct 2008 22:18

Thanks for letting us know

Marilyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 8 Oct 2008 22:37

Thought I'd take a look and I got this too. It's hosted by Rootsweb which is part of Ancestry.

Rose

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 9 Oct 2008 00:00

Oh wonder if that why my comp has been playing silly beggers since last nite ;;
but have done spybot and clear and also have norton nothing showing as well as defender;;;; ???

Babs

Christine

Christine Report 10 Oct 2008 14:16

So people will see the update

Christine

Christine

Christine Report 12 Oct 2008 15:11

On the Devon Family History message board there is a post with a link asking for people to petition Rootsweb to re-instate the website

http://rootsweb.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/rootsweb.cfg/php/enduser/ask_new.php

In one way I feel guilty that it has been taken off but it was not only me having the problems and I just wanted to warn people to be careful. I only hope people don't hold it against me.

Christine

Joy

Joy Report 12 Oct 2008 15:57

I tried all day yesterday and have tried again to today to access the site but have been unable to get connected. This is why I came on this site to see if anyone else was having the same problem. I have checked my anti virus but it says it is still running but maybe that is why today I have received 20 e-mails from the same person and the same time.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 12 Oct 2008 16:23

Hugh has answered on another forum, it seems Rootsweb have not contacted him about the site (e-mails not getting through?), they have just pulled it for the time being. Hopefully it will be back soon.
He is unable to access the site to remove the code that has been inserted, so hope Rootsweb will do it. The malicious redirect code has been pointed out to them exactly and they say they cannot find it. Hugh thinks possibly the password has been hacked using brute force. Another theory is that the code was inserted into an advert as per what happened on here.

It is a holiday week-end in USA, so maybe Tuesday it will be back.

Ron

Ron Report 14 Oct 2008 08:47

The site is back up but I would advise waiting before visiting it.

Some of the web pages still have the malicious script on them and have yet to be cleared.

DO NOT VISIT THE SITE UNLESS YOU HAVE UP TO DATE ANTI VIRUS ON YOUR PC.

Carol
www.genealogyprinters.com

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Oct 2008 09:14

I used the site last night after it was reinstated and today there are four trojans on my system. I do have up to date antivirus and it has caught them, but they must have come form the Hugh Wallis site again

Linda

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 14 Oct 2008 15:14

n

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 14 Oct 2008 16:05

This was posted by Hugh on another forum this morning.

Just got home - got the notice from rootsweb that they have put it back on line. Checked the page and it did have the offending code - I HAVE NOW REMOVED IT AND YOU SHOULD BE OK. Do, however, watch out in case this hacker gets back in again. The page appears to have been changed on July 9th 2008 but, since I do not keep a copy of my password on my computer the intrusion could not have emanated from me.

Thanks for everyone's support

Cheers

Hugh