Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help finding info on this charity please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carter

Carter Report 9 Oct 2008 15:47

hi i wonder if anyone could give me some help or pointme in the right direction. i have in my possesion a family bible and on the inside cover there is a certificate saying who the bible was given to. it was given as a award for catherine bulpit on 21st december 1893 . it says
GEORGE LAMB'S GIFT
warded to
catherine bulpit
for
Diligence and Good conduct
at Overton National School
Dec 21st 1893
i am trying to find out about George Lamb and this is what i have found when i have googled
GEORGE LAMB'S GIFT FOR PRIZES

Address:
THE RECTORY
GLEBE LANE
WORTING
BASINGSTOKE
HAMPSHIRE
RG23 8QA Charity No: 307133

Aims & Vision
PROVIDING ANNUALLY SIX PRIZES TO BE AWARDED TO THREE BOYS AND THREE GIRLS.

how can i find out more about this charity and who was george lamb
thanks linda

Jac

Jac Report 9 Oct 2008 15:55

Have you tried approaching the Charity Commission? I dont know if their records go back to the 1890's but worth a try maybe?

Jac XX

Carter

Carter Report 9 Oct 2008 16:09

thanks jac not sure who he is i have looked at the charity commision and not much info but i have found a telephone number for the charity but the charity is not in operation any more. i have tried to call but no reply
thanks linda

Jac

Jac Report 9 Oct 2008 16:23

Here's the second bit:-

The National school, founded in 1843, is regulated by scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 1 November 1872.
In 1870 Charles Lamb, by deed, gave £100 consols, the dividends to be applied by the rector in providing four prizes of a religious kind to be awarded annually to boys in the parish school. The stock is held by the official trustees.
The official trustees hold a sum of £63 9s. 10d. India 3 per cent. stock, the dividends of which, amounting to £1 18s., are under a declaration of trust, dated 11 March 1897, applicable, under the title of 'The Baughurst Charity,' for the relief of deserving and necessitous poor.

From: 'Parishes: Baughurst', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4 (1911), pp. 275-277. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56806. Date accessed: 09 October 2008.

The Charles Lamb Society is a modern day society I think - not sure if it's related to this particular Charles Lamb.

Carter

Carter Report 9 Oct 2008 16:30

jac
thanks so much for that but it is george lamb not charles lamb that i am looking for info on
thanks linda

Jac

Jac Report 9 Oct 2008 16:33

Sorry - my fault! lol I'll have another look.

I got carried away when I saw Hampshire and National School.

We'll find the man!!!

Jac

Jac Report 9 Oct 2008 16:36

Same site - British History on Line.

Parish of Worting (Hampshire)

In 1873 George Lamb also by deed gave £120 consols, the dividends amounting to £3 a year, to be applied in prizes at the National School. The stock is held by the official trustees.

From: 'Parishes: Worting', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4 (1911), pp. 243-244. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56798&strquery=worting. Date accessed: 09 October 2008.

Strikes me that these Lamb blokes might have been the landed gentry thereabouts, do you think?

Carter

Carter Report 9 Oct 2008 16:41

jac
you are a superstar thanks so much for your help
linda

Jac

Jac Report 9 Oct 2008 16:49

Found the blighter!!!

www.overtonpictures.com

It's a site about the place of Overton and there is this entry:-

A new National School was built on the site of the New Inn (now the Community Centre). This was paid for by George Lamb, a founder member of the firm of solicitors Lamb Brooks which still operates in Basingstoke today.

I bet he had a brother called Charles! lol

Carter

Carter Report 9 Oct 2008 17:04

jac thanks once again your help is much appreciated
linda x