Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trades, Titles & Occupations

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 10 Oct 2008 21:33

Evening all,
I have just received the dictionary, and am happy to look up anything you need to know.
Karen

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Oct 2008 22:16

Di,

Found this paragraph on a site talking about chemists in Wolverhampton, but I suspect it would be the same anywhere:-

Some local chemists became manufacturing chemists. They produced medicines on a large scale and sold them not only in their own shops (as most chemists did) but produced them in bulk and sold them as widely as they could. In Wolverhampton Warners and Martyns seem both to have been in this sort of business and Reades, as successors to Mander Weavers, were into it in such a large and diverse way that they count as part of the chemical industry (and are not dealt with here).

Kath. x

Fairways3

Fairways3 Report 11 Oct 2008 13:44

Hullo Karen,
What would a Machine Engraver in Glasgow in 1851 be doing please? Not engraving names on sporting trophies I take it.
Thank you,
Margaret

sox1

sox1 Report 12 Oct 2008 17:01

Hello Karen
May I take you up on your offer, what a great idea,
I have been wondering what a Brass Finisher did, and where he would have worked?
Many thanks
Wendy sox1

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Oct 2008 17:04

From an old occupations site:-

Brass Finisher - a person who cast brass.

I expect he would have worked in a foundry pouring molten brass into moulds.

Kath. x

Susie Floosie

Susie Floosie Report 19 Oct 2008 22:16

Karen

Is there an occupation common carrier, if so what is it.

sue

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Oct 2008 22:19

Karen doesn't seem to have come back to the thread.

Sue,

I would imagine that a common carrier was just a carrier who carried anything he was paid to carry - like the white van man of today.

Kath. x