Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP WITH FTM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 10:51

I tried to open my FTM today and the following notice came up. "This application has failed to start because KinRes.dl was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem".
The same thing happened when I tried to open my gedcom file.

Please can anybody who is computer literate help me.

Thanks,

Barbara

Neil

Neil Report 12 Oct 2008 10:52

Have you tried re-installing FTM as suggested?

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 10:57

Don't laugh Neil but how do I do it? I think I got it free from one of the sites but don't know which one.

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 11:11

Don't have it on disc and am not using vista

Neil

Neil Report 12 Oct 2008 11:13

Not sure what you can do if you don't have this disc

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 12 Oct 2008 11:28

Barbara have you tried accessing it through the Masterfile FTW family file, which should be in your 'my documents' file?

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 11:38

Linda RSJ at your suggestion have just tried that and the same message is coming up.

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 12 Oct 2008 11:49

So it sounds as though you have lost the actual programme to open your masterfile and gedcom with. Think you will have to download it again as Neil suggested. Just put up a search for ' FTM free downloads and take your pick.

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 11:55

Thanks - thought that might be the case. Does anybody recommend any particular FTM

LindaRSJ

LindaRSJ Report 12 Oct 2008 12:03

Personally, I would stay with 2006.

Ron

Ron Report 12 Oct 2008 13:13

Be aware that if you download the free Starter Edition of FTM you will not be able to export your data from it. It will be stuck inside the program.

Best to buy a cheapie version of FTM off play.com/ or somewhere else but make sure it's the full version.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 13:30

If I uninstal my FTM and instal a new one will I be able to transfer all my info from Ancestry and GR straight on to it or will I have to start from scratch again which will be a mammoth task

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Oct 2008 13:50

Barbara,

The data is actually held in a separate file to the actual FTM program, so as long as your datafile is not corrupted you will be able to re-load it once you have a new FTM program installed.

Can you find a file which has the file extension .FTW ? This is the one which contains the tree data you have input. Make sure it is saved in a safe place where you can find it. If you program was set to make backups, there should also be a file with the extension .FBK . Save this as well.

Once you have your new program installed you need to tell it where your data is by selecting and opening one of the files within FTM. Once the file is loaded FTM 'remembers' its name and location and will automatically open it when you next run the program.

Barbara

Barbara Report 12 Oct 2008 14:42

Thanks to everyone for your help. I actually found the original disc of my FTM (must have had a senior moment cos I thought I had downloaded a free one). I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it is now working with all my data intact!!

Thanks again for your help