Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Uploading Gedcom files

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 12 Oct 2008 12:09

I did something really silly the other day, but not entirely my fault. I was given a gedcom file from a relative, On Thursday evening I read through the notes about uploading, to cut along story short, It said the files were 'Added' to the tree. But you know what's coming, when I uploaded the file, my whole tree was deleted! yuk, 221 relatives gone. Needless to say I've pretty upset and annoyed at such a simple thing has happened.
The stranger thing is surprise, surprise, the pages relating to uploading Gedcom files were updated overnight to say that your tree would be deleted and replaced by uploading a Gedcom. file. If I had known this in advance of course I would not have done what I did. And over the weekend further notes have been added about uploading Gedcom files.
All helpful to members, but too late for me. The staff at Genes reunited have been entirely unhelpful, considering we pay for this site, I would have thought we would get better support. But they say there is nothing they can do. Apparently they do not have incremental back ups of the site, or any safety precautions, I assume if it goes down or you make an error, all our data is lost. So I strongly suggest keeping a copy offline or on another site.

Ron

Ron Report 12 Oct 2008 13:10

A bit late I know but others are now aware of one of the possible causes of complete loss af data.

The best thing to do is to download your gedcom file once a week or so from the GR site, that way if anything goes wrong you've always got a back up on your PC. and if you save it to a pen drive or similar even if your computer breaks down you still have your data.

Can't say it often enough, BACK UP---BACKUP.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 12 Oct 2008 13:47

I wondered if you have given anyone else access to your tree and they have downloaded it could you ask for a copy back?!!

Would it work?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 12 Oct 2008 13:56

Sorry to hear that you have lost your file. The message re an upload deleting your previous GR tree is not a new one, though, and this has been the case as long as I can remember.

Do you have anything at home on your PC you can fall back on?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 12 Oct 2008 14:15

Also too late now but best not to rely soley on GR for your tree.

You should put it on a software programme on your computer.

If you don't want to buy one Familysearch do a free PAF programme

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

Christine

Brit

Brit Report 12 Oct 2008 16:42

Oh dear, sorry you lost your files Keith, hope you can find a way to restore them.

This may be very thick- plank, but this could so easily have happened to me being technically challenged as I am. How can I save my tree from GR to a disk? I do have Family Tree but haven't completed it and have also made some errors and not been able to repair them so don't want it on there at the moment. Thanks for any help,( preferably in words of one syllable LOL).

Keith

Keith Report 12 Oct 2008 19:14

Hi, backing up I know is so important, I do it all the time with my hard drive, but this is no good for online things, of course. But on GR you can export a Gedcom file of your tree.

I suggest you read the notes online. hopefully they will explain how to do it. In the meantime I'm looking for the software to do the tree offline, but I use Mac's

cheers

Keith