Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Curtain - Sunderland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carole & Sue from up north

Carole & Sue from up north Report 12 Oct 2008 16:18

Hello Everyone,

I'm just browsing through the archives on Genuki-Sunderland and I've just come across a question someone has asked but unfortunately no-one has answered. They wanted to know about an area of Sunderland called The Curtain. This has got me extremely curious! Do any of you know the answer? Why was it called this and where abouts was it?

Carole x

Carole & Sue from up north Report 12 Oct 2008 19:15

n

Carole & Sue from up north Report 12 Oct 2008 20:34

I have googled it and the only references I could find was the original question that sparked off my interest! From what i can gather the reference was from some years ago. Myself and my family come from Sunderland and that's my main area of research and we have never heard of it either, that's why I'm curious to know about it.

Carole x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Oct 2008 22:07

I wonder if the person looking for this place has found it on a census. Could it possibly be a misread abbreviation for Castletown, Sunderland.

Can't think of anything else.

Kath. x

Carole & Sue from up north Report 12 Oct 2008 22:45

Hello Kath

Unfortunately the post was from 2001 and i don't think that they will still be checking in and no-one else had posted a reply. I get the impression that they had heard it from somewhere but I'm beginning to think that she may have misheard it. I've done quite a bit of social history research about Sunderland and as I said earlier, my whole family come from there and not once have I ever came across this name.

Carole x

Carole & Sue from up north Report 13 Oct 2008 11:49

n

Carole & Sue from up north Report 13 Oct 2008 16:59

Just found it! It was The Curtain or Curtain Square. Its now Dixon Square in Monkwearmouth (opposite the library). Found it on the Englands Past for Everyone.

Carole

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 17:08

Well done Carole!!

What an interesting site - I've never seen it before.

Kath. x