Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

STILLBIRTH

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Oct 2008 21:54

Does anyone know if a child was stillborn between 1949-1955 is it possible it would have been registered, many thanks
Eileen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Oct 2008 21:56

No. I think the stillbirth register started in the 1920s. I think you can only access the stillbirth records if you are close family - but someone will know for sure.

If the child lived for just a few minutes though there should be a birth and death registration.

Jill

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 12 Oct 2008 21:59

Hi Eileen

There was a thread earlier.
I'll try and find it and nudge it for you.

Dee x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Oct 2008 22:00

The stillbirth register started in 1927, however some stillbirths weren't always registered in the early days. By the 1940's it should have been but the stillbirth register is completely separate from the ordinary birth and death index.

The only people who can access the records are the parents, but if the parents are both dead then a sibling of the child can access the records - no one else. You need to get in touch with the GRO at Southport.

Kath. x

Eileen

Eileen Report 12 Oct 2008 22:04

thanks to all
eileen

Donna

Donna Report 14 Oct 2008 07:34

Try contacting the cemetary where they are buried. I did this with mum's brother who died . Me and mum went along and viewed the register which is seperate from all the other birth regs. They were very helpful.