Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

lost streets

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tiny

Tiny Report 13 Oct 2008 12:59

i`ve got a birth cert. for 1909 (annie martyn 1st may )
it has two aadresses on it for the mother . ( edith martyn)
first adress at 43 webster srteet south manchester
then work adress as 10 grange street rusholme manchester.
my problem is .. when i put the adresses in any seach for 1901 they they are not found .
wot i`m i doing wrong
i have looked on todays maps but they are not there , but manchester has changed alot .
can anyone help me to find theses streets please .

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 13:11

Perhaps the streets were built between 1901 and 1909.

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 13:15

There is a 10 Grange Street in Failsworth, Manchester. Maybe boundaries have changed in the last hundred years.

Kath. x

Tiny

Tiny Report 13 Oct 2008 13:19

wot did u find that on

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 13:21

Found it on the Royal Mail site.

Kath. x

carol58

carol58 Report 13 Oct 2008 13:44

I've had a search on 1901Censusonline and the addresses come up there. 43 Webster Street is stated as a 'maternity house' where Annie was born so presumably 10 Grange Street was Edith's home and/or work address and she just went to Webster Street to have the baby. You may already have gathered this but at least you know the streets were there in 1901.

Address 43 Webster S Maternity House
Occ Y
Administrative County Lancashire
Civil Parish South Manchester
Ecclesiastical Parish Greenheys S Clements
Parliamentary Borough South Manchester
Rural District
Municipal Borough Manchester
Municipal Ward All Saints

Address 10 Grange Street
Occ Y
Administrative County Manchester
Civil Parish South Manchester
Ecclesiastical Parish Holy Trinity Rusholme
Parliamentary Borough South Manchester
Rural District
Municipal Borough Manchester
Municipal Ward Rusholme

There is a Webster Street School (now just Webster Primary School) in the Greenheys area of Manchester (address actually Denmark Road) and by doing a bit of Googling it would appear that Grange Street (even though it doesn't seem to be there now) was off Ravensdale Street. If you use Google Maps and put in Ravensdale Street, Manchester and Webster Street School you'll see from the map that they were only a couple of minutes away from each other. Hope I haven't confused you!

Tiny

Tiny Report 13 Oct 2008 15:46

thank you so much