Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help changing parents on tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

leannecr

leannecr Report 13 Oct 2008 13:44

Hi, I am trying to change the parents of a relative on my tree. I have selected the relative, then gone to the edit tab . The option for change aparents either appears in grey i.e. not selectable, or if in bold it doesnt do anything. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Regards, Leanne

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Oct 2008 13:54

Have you got enough parents entered?
IE one wife/two husbands?
You have to give the tree something to change to.

leannecr

leannecr Report 13 Oct 2008 14:20

Hi Jim,
yes, I have one father and 3 mothers, one of whom is incorrect so I want to delete her and allocate the child to one of the others - hope this makes sense!

Thelma

Thelma Report 13 Oct 2008 14:32

Had a look at mine.
If only two parents then no option.
More than two:-
click on child
change parents
scroll down,in white section
select parents(Drop down box)
Click on the correct pairing
click,change parents.

leannecr

leannecr Report 14 Oct 2008 21:24

Hi, I keep trying but not having any luck. Anyone any ideas? all help greatly appreciated!
Lea

Sally

Sally Report 14 Oct 2008 21:50

yes leave it for a few days keep trying until it works had the same problem
sally

Sam

Sam Report 14 Oct 2008 21:56

If the people that you are trying to change have children, you have to do them first - if that makes sense - you have to start from the bottom and work up.

To be honest, it is far easier to do it in Family Tree Maker (or similar program) and then upload your tree to here.