Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please help me find info on Howard

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brenda

Brenda Report 13 Oct 2008 17:42

I am trying trace my fathers ancestors, his name was Harry Charles Howard born 1918 in Jarrow. I know his fathers name was also Harry Charles Howard he was married to Mary Ann Nixon nee Bates. I believe she may have had a son called Walter? I remember my dad saying he had a half brother who emigrated to Austrailia. My dad died when I was eleven so I don't know much about his side of the family. I have printed off search records for 1901, however I am unsure if the people listed are the correct family.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 13 Oct 2008 17:47

Do you have your dad's birth certificate?

Do you have his parents' marriage cert? You need at least the marriage cert to give you the ages of his parents at the time of marriage and to see then whether you can find them on the 1901. It's so easy to go chasing after the wrong family.

Jill

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Oct 2008 17:47

Free BMD:
Harry Howard married Mary A. Nixon March quarter 1918, S. Shields. (10a 1433)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 17:51

This looks like your dad's birth certificate reference:-

Harry C. Howard, mother's maiden name Nixon
Sept. qtr. 1918, South Shields, 10a, 1582

It looks like her maiden name was Nixon and not Bates.

Kath. x

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 13 Oct 2008 17:53

I can't find a marriage of Mary Ann or Mary Bates to a Nixon.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Oct 2008 17:55

Where have you got the parent's names from?

Kath. x

Brenda

Brenda Report 13 Oct 2008 18:36

I have my dad's birth certificate and his parents marriage certificate, it shows that his mother was called Mary Nixon, she was a widow. Her Fathers name was on the marrigae certificate as George William Bates.

Brenda

Brenda Report 13 Oct 2008 21:18

on my fathers parents marriage certificate it states his fathers name as charles howard deceased cant find any thing in the deaths