Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed for websites

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 14 Oct 2008 13:31

hi all i am in need of some help, i am following my line of the ROWLES family, where i am stuck is getting more recent members of the tree for example post 1901. The website freebmd is of great help but dont give no detail to be able to confirm exact matches like on marriges or births. Is there a website that give good clear records?, for example i have found a marrige of godfrey rowles marrying a lewis in newport (11a 550) in 1929 on freebmd is there a site i could get information like parents names from of this marrige?

thanks for any help

martin

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 14 Oct 2008 13:44

not as far as I'm aware

usually have to buy the cert - unfortunately

If you are in the area - it is possible to look up parish records via microfiche at the records centre nearest to where you are looking

Christine

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Oct 2008 13:44

The only way you can get the parents names is to buy the certificate for £7 from the GRO using the reference you have

Linda

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Oct 2008 13:45

The parish records won't give the parents names either, just the witnesses

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 14 Oct 2008 14:02

Sorry, Linda, mine have!
I went to the office in Bexleyheath - got actual copies of marriage certs from the microfiche.

Christine

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Oct 2008 14:08

I stand corrected, pity none of the records offices I visit have them. I only get the parish records which do not have parents on them, but I have only been to Huddersfield, Northumberland Archives,Northallerton, Teesside Archives and Reading. I obviously choose the wrong counties

Linda

CLW2005

CLW2005 Report 14 Oct 2008 14:11

Never mind - hope you have better luck soon!

Christine x

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 14 Oct 2008 14:20

Now I remember why I gave up helping on these boards after being a member for many years!!!!!!!!!
I hoped things had changed when I started helping again, but obviuosly not

Linda x