Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 16 Oct 2008 16:57

Hi there,

My grandfather was adopted as a baby, and I know that his birth surname was Moores, and his adopted surname was Bailey. His first name was Frank, but I'm not sure if this was a given name at birth, or a given name by his adoptive parents.

My grandfather ran away from his adoptive family at the age of 16 and joined the army underage, so our family never had any contact with his adoptive parents.

I wasn't sure of exact birthday, and no one in my family does either, but I remembered that it was near my mothers birthday in October. I guessed that he would have been born at more or less the same year as my nan, which was 1918.

So after so searching through birth records, I found one entry in the fourth quarter of 1917, for a birth of a male baby, no name recorded, just (male) with the mothers maiden name also being named as Moores, indicating that she was unmarried.

Is this likely to be my grandfather? Were children born out of wedlock given christian names on the records, or were they, as I suspect just named as male or female?

If anyone could advise, or point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Jo

Kate

Kate Report 16 Oct 2008 17:06

Sometimes babies born to unmarried mothers were unnamed - quite often they were named, but maybe your grandfather's mother didn't want to/couldn't bring herself to name him when she registered the birth?

He possibly was informally adopted by another family - official adoptions didn't come in till about 1927, I think.

Al M

Al M Report 28 Oct 2008 22:49

Very often when a baby died in its first days or weeks, the birth is simply registered as 'Male Surname' or 'Female Surname'.

I've seen the birth certs of hundreds of illegitimate children and I've never seen one where the child is not given a first name.

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 29 Oct 2008 10:51

If your grandfather was adopted prior to 1927 his adoption was not recorded and no records were kept.

It's not uncommon for births to be registered with no first name recorded. The only way to find if he is your grandfather is to apply for the birth certificate.

Good Luck with your search.

Cheers Gerry

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 29 Oct 2008 13:09

if you apply for his marriage cert it will give you a better idea of his birth date although not always accurate his age on their should be helpful to finding a birth for him.

It will say his fathers name if he was registered under his surname or his adopted fathers name.