Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Unregistered Illegitimate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Oct 2008 22:46

Does anyone know if its possible for the illegitimate child birth I'm searching for , not to have been registered. The date is approx 1851 , Scotland.

G x x

Sam

Sam Report 16 Oct 2008 22:49

In England at least, birth registration wasn't made compulsary until 1875 so many births before that date went unregistered. I'm not sure if it is the same for Scotland but I would say it was likely.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 16 Oct 2008 22:55

I don't think civil registration even started in Scotland until 1855.........

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 16 Oct 2008 23:09

Eric's right - registration didn't start until 1855 in Scotland.

Kath. x

Gillian

Gillian Report 16 Oct 2008 23:16

thanks guys,

Just had a good look at the Scotlands People website, the old parish records date back to 1553 in Scotland and compulsory civil registration began in 1855. Chances are my illegitimate wasn't registered after all.

G x x

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 17 Oct 2008 11:18

hi gillian,
ive also got quite a few illegitimate scotish rellies born before civil registration and all but one had been reg, you have to look very hard in the scottish records,a lot of these children where brought up by the grandparents while the mothers worked,i found one rellie who was down has her grandmothers daughter,the child was 4 and the grandmother 62.x

Gillian

Gillian Report 17 Oct 2008 14:23

Actually Suzanne , now that you mention I have found him on 2 cencus records showing he lived with his grandmother while his mother worked. I will have another wee look and see if that makes a difference to any birth records and if he appeared as grandson on the cencus. Thanks

G x x

Potty

Potty Report 17 Oct 2008 14:58

Gillian,

It will be a baptism record that you are looking for, not a birth, and baptisms sometimes took place months or years after the birth.