Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Registration Districts of London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Valerie

Valerie Report 18 Oct 2008 01:59

Hi. Can anyone help me out. I have a supposed grandmother who was born on 21 May 1873 at 14 Ennismore Mews Princes Gate Knightsbridge. London. All on her birth certificate. The mother was Susan Fogg formerly Clarke and the father James Fogg. The informant is listed as R. Clarke(Susan's father) Occupier, 14 Ennismore Mews, Princes Gate, Knightsbridge.
The ODD thing is that certificate is for the Registration District of St.George, Hanover Square in the sub district of St.Margaret in the County of Middx. Now my mother and aunt and one of my sons even have that on their birth certificates and it is WESTMINSTER. Certainly nowhere near Knightsbridge. Could you register someone outside the area they were born. The birth was 21 May and the Registration 30th June. Maybe that is it. That part of Westminster in 1873 was NOT a nice place (outlined black on Booths Old Maps) and not somewhere you lived through choice. If they moved there with Lucy would they be able to register her there. I always thought you had to register a child in the area it was born but could be wrong. Any ideas. Thanks a lot.

Richard

Richard Report 18 Oct 2008 04:38

"KNIGHTSBRIDGE, a suburban district of London, partly in the parish of Westminster St. Margaret, Westminster, but chiefly in the parishes of Kensington and Chelsea"

Westminster St. Margaret would've then come under the old St.George, Hanover Square Reg Dist, so it has been registered correctly for the time.

Julie

Julie Report 18 Oct 2008 08:09

Hi Valerie

Im not sure about back then but...When my son was born in 1997 he was born early and in Suffolk, cos we were from London, after he was strong enough we were transferred to London

When it came to have him registered we went up to Suffolk but was told we could of registered him in London

mgnv

mgnv Report 18 Oct 2008 08:40

I'm wondering if what they were really saying was that you could have gone to a London RO and done all the paper-work, and they would sort of act as agents for the Suffolk RO, and ship the completed papers off to them, so that the registration would still formally be in Suffolk, and it's just that you wouldn't have to travel 80 miles or whatever to do it.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Oct 2008 09:27

Nothing odd about the cert, see below

ST. GEORGE HANOVER SQUARE REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : London.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Abolished : 1.10.1933 (succeeded by City of Westminster district)
Sub-districts : Belgrave; Hanover Square; Knightsbridge; Mayfair; Mayfair & Knightsbridge; St. John; St. Margaret; St. Margaret & St. John; Victoria; Westminster St. John; Westminster St. Margaret.
GRO volumes : I (1837-51); 1a (1852-1933).

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Oct 2008 09:28

CITY OF WESTMINSTER REGISTRATION DISTRICT
Registration County : London.
Created : 1.10.1933 (out of St. George Hanover Square and St. Martin districts).
Abolished : 1.4.1965 (succeeded by Westminster district).
Sub-districts : Westminster North East; Westminster North West; Westminster South
GRO volumes : 1a (1933-46); 5C (1946-65).

from http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/

Roy